PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Perth

mischa
Mon May 26, 2008, 05:35 AM
Hi All
Thanks for the wealth of experience, enthusiasm and advice for all things "fish" on the Discus Forums. I am a relative newcomer to the hobby and welcome all the help I can get. I currently have 7 tanks containing a variety of tropical freshwater fish. I am particularly interested in keeping (and hopefully breeding) discus, small cichlids and rainbowfish. My discus aquarium is 320L, planted and contains 7 juvenile discus (four blue turquoise, one red turq and two blue turq "grand flora?" ). They live with some Microgeophagus altispinosa, rainbows, bristlenose and tetras. I've got another planted tank with a few different types of small cichlid. These include G. steindachneri and Apistogramma agassizi. Both a very entertaining. I am very keen to collect a few more dwarfs, they have "sucked me in"!

Cheers and best of luck with your fishkeeping :D

scott bowler
Mon May 26, 2008, 07:57 AM
welcome to the forum mischa, 7 tanks wow , thats good there is always room for more hehe , hope you find all the info you need here , we also love pics and lots of them , so have fun and enjoy ,

Matt15
Mon May 26, 2008, 08:14 AM
Welcome mischa... I second Scott's request, we'd love to see some photos..... :D

mischa
Mon May 26, 2008, 02:53 PM
Cheers guys. I will bumble my way along and try to download a couple of photos taken earlier today. I must have spent half an hour trying to coax a few of my shy discus towards the front of the tank. Once the camera had been put away...out they came. I think I heard them giggling at me :D

cityguy
Mon May 26, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hello Mischa, newcomer with 7 tanks, wow ! Welcome :-)

Merrilyn
Tue May 27, 2008, 10:59 AM
Welcome mischa. Glad you joined us.

Love to see some more photos.

I see a couple of nice looking snakeskin discus in there. :P

mischa
Tue May 27, 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi Merrilyn and thank you for the welcome. I have appreciated the advice you have offered many people in this and the other Discus Forums topics.

I have plenty of enthusiasm for my fish but not a great deal of knowledge or experience. Definitely enjoying the process, however.

Are the snakeskins the discus with the narrow spaced bars and the turqs the discus with the more widely spaced bars? So much to learn :)

I would appreciate any advice as to the type of discus my newest and smallest additions are. I have purchased them as a Singapore import "grand flora". Will try to sneak a photo asap.

Cheers
Erica

glamgirl
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hello, i am also from Perth, WOW 7 tanks already i am struggling to convince the OH i need a second!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where do you purchase your discus from, Please PM the details if you dont mind.
I have just got hold of a "red dragon violet" which is a german import, very expensive but gorgeous fish and a solid blue metallic fish.
Would like to look at the singapore imports you are talking about.

mischa
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Glamgirl
I only have three display tanks, the rest are two footers (hopefully for breeding). My largest has undergone a bit of a renovation and now includes more driftwood and more discus. I have purchased a red turq from Petmagic Cannington, the two grandflora from Aquotix and two blue turq and two blue snakeskin from a lady who breeds them in Rockingham. I have just bought three beautiful new discus from Mich from this forum (Check the past classifieds- she is selling more of her discus). Mich is moving and needs to sell her fish, she was a lovely lady and very helpful.

I would love to add to my discus collection but think I might be pushing it in terms of overcrowding when they reach adult size (and in terms of my partner's tolerance of aquaria all over the house)

Cheers and good luck with your discus
Erica :)

scott bowler
Mon Jun 09, 2008, 12:22 PM
mischa
tank and fish look nice ,love the tank set up ,

waitaki
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 08:59 AM
welcome Mischa I'm from Perth as well and hopefully will breed my 2 pairs soon! I also have rainbows and dwarf cichlids - you're right they hook you in!! PM if you need a hand with anything! Nice big tank you have! Great pic of the bristlenose!!
Check my pics in the photo album, I was fortunate to buy my discus off the German!

mischa
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 01:16 PM
Cheers for the encouraging words, Waitaki. It sounds like you have been quite fortunate to pick up Discus from such an experienced keeper. I looked at your pictures and they're magnificent. I also appreciate the offer of help and am certain I will be taking you up on the kind offer. So much to learn... but all interesting.

Kind regards

paddyedgar
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:34 AM
Hi, Like your display and interesting discus.

There must be enough of us from Perth to organise a get-together for a
session of discus chit chat. I am keen if any others are interested.

paddyedgar

glamgirl
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:40 AM
Where abouts is everyone located, Im in the Swan Valley, heaps of nice wineries and resturants etc round here.

mischa
Wed Jun 11, 2008, 03:53 AM
Hi Paddy and Glamgirl
I am in Lesmurdie. I probably won't be organised enough to get together but I am happy to offer my two cents worth regarding any questions or concerns anyone has. Feel free to pm. Unfortunately, my depth experience with discus is very slim. Someone has tried to organise a "Discus Friends of Perth" meeting on a previous occasion. I think a contact for that could be found on this forum.

Cheers