PDA

View Full Version : how many adult discus in a 120?

limefish
Sun May 25, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hello everyone

I currently own a 120 gallon (4x2x2) that I think I'm going to keep discus in. I know about the "1 discus for every 10 gallons" estimate that goes around on forums, but I like to keep my tanks lightly stocked to keep things more manageable. My main goal is to cut down on water changes, but I also like giving fish the extra room and keeping the tank looking cleaner.. I want to know how many discus would let me achieve this. I plan on buying them as adults. Would 5 large discus be a good number?

SusieQ
Sun May 25, 2008, 11:49 PM
HI Limefish... I have the same tank 4x2x2.. It's medium planted with driftwood and sand substrate..
My discus are adults and subadults and I also have a school of 30 rummeynoses and 2 BN. I started with 4 discus as I had to makle 2 trips to the breeder..got 4 each time about a week apart... boy what a difference when I added the second bunch... with 8 in there they have plenty of room but feel very comfortable as a loose school... Much more active and brave then when there was the smaller number.. I have even added an adult koi angel that I had to remove from another tank and that didn't faze the discus. I have 2 pairs that spawn in the tank constantly.. They are all very happy campers.. Try and get them all from the same source at the same time.. that's the best way..
Are you planning barebottom or planted??? Either way I would suggest more than the 5 you asked about. No matter how many you get you're gonna need to do lots of water changes so don't let that alone determine the numbers.. Your discus will smile at you after water changes LOL... If you don't have one yet look at the "python" type water changers.... I love mine...Go at least 6 but I think 8 or more is better.. If you take a cd and hold it up to the tank that will help you visualize how much room the adults will take up.. I also suggest you buy from a breeder not an LFS. Until you've seen the size of the adult discus that a breeder has you can't imagine what a magnificent fish they are..
Good luck whatever you decide. HTH Sue :D :D

ILLUSN
Mon May 26, 2008, 12:14 AM
6-8 would be a good easy to mangae number in that size tank.

limefish
Mon May 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
I realize that regular water changes need to be done, but its quite logical to say that 5-7 discus will produce less waste than 12. This tank has been running with fish for a year now I'm used to doing water changes. Also, the tank will be bare-bottom or a thin layer of sand with a few pieces of driftwood. No plants.

ILLUSN
Mon May 26, 2008, 11:27 PM
if you dont mind the extra work you could go as many as 12, personally I'd go 10 max, though 8 8"-10" monsters would proably be plenty