PDA

View Full Version : hole in the head (with oscar)

dean30bb
Sun May 25, 2008, 05:15 AM
hey any body no of any medications to treat hole in the head for my new oscar he had it a little bit when i brought him his in by him self and i wanted to save him but now i dnt no wat to treat him :?

Greggy
Sun May 25, 2008, 01:55 PM
Metronidazole, clean water and a good diet high in vitamins should do it.

Regards,

Greggy

cityguy
Sun May 25, 2008, 02:54 PM
hey any body no of any medications to treat hole in the head for my new oscar he had it a little bit when i brought him his in by him self and i wanted to save him but now i dnt no wat to treat him :?

As there are multiple causes of this disease, the treatment usually consists of taking a multi-faceted approach. The goal is to rid the fish of Hexamita (Hole in the Head disease), improve water quality, and improve vitamin/mineral supplementation and nutrition.

A common treatment for infection with Hexamita includes the addition of the antibiotic metronidazole to the treatment tank housing the infected fish. Water quality must be closely watched, and the water quality adjusted to the exact standards required for the fish. Improving nutrition by adding fresh or frozen meaty foods or vegetables in the form of seaweed strips or lightly steamed broccoli may help. Make sure to target the nutrition to the species you are treating. For example, some cichlids are primarily vegetarians, whereas oscars are carnivores. In cases where secondary bacterial infections are present, additional antibiotics such as Maracyn, Kanacyn, or Furan may be needed.

Please remember, when treating this or any disease, try to use a separate treatment tank and treat as soon as the first symptoms appear.

samir
Sun May 25, 2008, 03:03 PM
As there are multiple causes of this disease, the treatment usually consists of taking a multi-faceted approach. The goal is to rid the fish of Hexamita (Hole in the Head disease), improve water quality, and improve vitamin/mineral supplementation and nutrition.

A common treatment for infection with Hexamita includes the addition of the antibiotic metronidazole to the treatment tank housing the infected fish. Water quality must be closely watched, and the water quality adjusted to the exact standards required for the fish. Improving nutrition by adding fresh or frozen meaty foods or vegetables in the form of seaweed strips or lightly steamed broccoli may help. Make sure to target the nutrition to the species you are treating. For example, some cichlids are primarily vegetarians, whereas oscars are carnivores. In cases where secondary bacterial infections are present, additional antibiotics such as Maracyn, Kanacyn, or Furan may be needed.

Please remember, when treating this or any disease, try to use a separate treatment tank and treat as soon as the first symptoms appear.

or you could just post the link
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1791&articleid=2586

cityguy
Sun May 25, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yes right Samir, thanks for reminding me, :roll: next time onwards I will remember to do that too, and maybe include some other excellent links to help out people in distress..

Mitch
Mon May 26, 2008, 06:42 AM
LOL! How good is plagiarism, it got me through school. :lol:

cityguy
Mon May 26, 2008, 06:53 AM
LOL.. It never got me through school, but helped to help people who are looking for informations.. :roll:

Merrilyn
Tue May 27, 2008, 01:08 PM
The internet is a wonderful resource, with lots of information at your fingertips, but unless the information you post is actually your own words, it is an absolute must, as well as a courtesy to acknowledge the original author.

Cityguy, I understand your desire to help, and thank you for finding that information, but next time, just remember to acknowledge the author and the website where it was posted.

dean30bb
Thu May 29, 2008, 10:59 AM
thanks heeps guy ill get on it strait away do any of u no if metronidazole leagle in australia cas i was reading up on it and its illeagle in some places but if u can get it here where do i get it just at the vets or somthing

cityguy
Thu May 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
Acknowledged Merrilyn, and accepted :-)

cityguy
Thu May 29, 2008, 11:11 AM
thanks heeps guy ill get on it strait away do any of u no if metronidazole leagle in australia cas i was reading up on it and its illeagle in some places but if u can get it here where do i get it just at the vets or somthing

Metronidazole is a common medicine, available in brand names such as Flagyl. It is marketed by Pfizer also under the trade name Flagyl in the US and Canada, while Sanofi-Aventis markets metronidazole globally under the same tradename, Flagyl, and also by various generic manufacturers, who sell it at a lower price. Its not a restricted drug, and generally available off the shelve in any chemist shop :)

tanzy
Thu May 29, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hello dean30bb,

You need to get a prescription from a vet in Australia to be able to buy Metronidazole.

Kell

dean30bb
Sat May 31, 2008, 07:19 AM
kool thanks heeps again will do