PDA

View Full Version : Discus Growth & Lifespan..

cityguy
Tue May 20, 2008, 11:44 AM
I know this is something that every discus enthusiast asks millions of times, but I still cannot help it, and wonder every time I look at my fishes.. How Big Would they Grow & How Long Would they Go, both, with proper (good to average) care.. :)

taksan
Tue May 20, 2008, 12:31 PM
Thats kinda like how many roads must a man walk down ....

cityguy
Tue May 20, 2008, 12:41 PM
Thats kinda like how many roads must a man walk down ....:-) Thanks for the enlightment, how about your experienced answers on the question ?

Merrilyn
Tue May 20, 2008, 12:50 PM
Really difficult question to answer.

However, if your fish reaches around 6 inches by 12 to 18 months, you've done well. I've personally had a fish grow to 8 inches (excluding tail) but he was quite an old fish when he reached that size.

Discus can live for 10 years or more. Some of our members have had discus live for 13 years.

If your fish survive to 6 or 8 years, then you can consider yourself a successful discus keeper :P

cityguy
Tue May 20, 2008, 01:18 PM
wow..thanks merrilyn, God bless..

ILLUSN
Wed May 21, 2008, 05:43 AM
Discus go on and on and on, dads fish are 13years old, they look terrible now, but in their day they were stunners.

as for size my biggest are 8inchs or so (some a little bigger) and they arn't that old, the oldest would be 4yrs and he still produces fry.

if you want them to grow big and fast. use a nice big tank, stock at 1 fish/50L lots of regular feeds, 4x a day if you can, only as much as they'll eat in 30sec-2min and LOTS OF WATER CHANGES.

you should reach 5-6 inches in 18-20 months easy.

cityguy
Wed May 21, 2008, 06:03 AM
Thank you too Illusn..

tomahawk
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 03:15 PM
Thats kinda like how many roads must a man walk down ....

Was that an answer from a moderator ??