PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Discus

vanessa messig
Sun May 18, 2008, 04:36 AM
Has anyone had a problem with discus fighting amongst each other?

I have four and its two against two.. now two of them have been nipped on one side of the body and am treating the water with 'Melafix' does anyone have any other suggestions about which medication is best or the fighting problem :?:

The discus are healthy and eat well.

JoeDiscus85
Sun May 18, 2008, 11:12 AM
you have too few discus. You need atleast one more. Discus are schooling fish and it throws off their natral instinct to not be in a big group. What size tank??

Joe

vanessa messig
Sun May 18, 2008, 02:03 PM
Hi Joe, thanks, you could be right! The tank is 6ft, so plenty of room but I lost one spectacular ring leopard last week, I think due to high nitrates which are slowly coming down now. I have moved the wood and plants around today which kept them all together in a corner but now they are back to normal.

I am not sure but I think I have three females and one male and its the male which gets attacked by the melon female.

Merrilyn
Mon May 19, 2008, 04:36 AM
If you could manage to add another two fish Vanessa, it will change the whole dynamics of the group.

Try to get two at least as large, if not larger than the existing tankmates.

vanessa messig
Mon May 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, Its a good idea and I will be looking forward to getting more, thats for sure. I am still learning but trying hard to get my discus tank as perfect as possible.

Cheers,

Hollowman
Mon May 19, 2008, 10:58 AM
Don't forget to qt properly Vanessa before you add more.

Hollowman :wink:

vanessa messig
Mon May 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi Hollowman,
That is absolutely top priority and I have a small tank set up already with some tetra's and a couple of whiptail cats which are ready to go into the main tank. I think you always need another tank ready on standby.

By the way, I love your pic, is it a ring leopard?

Hollowman
Mon May 19, 2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks Vanessa,

I am glad you have a qt tank, make the world of difference, and a safe way to go.

The fish is a Penang Eruption in my avatar. It hails from Jeffery Yang, via Paul Lucas at Discus South in the UK. It is a super example and is paired with a Premium Leopard Spotted Snake at present, just moved them to a breeding cube yesterday.
Here a a couple of pictures of the him and the female, the fry are from the last time I had time to raise some.
Sorry to go off topic somewhat.

Hollowman

vanessa messig
Tue May 20, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Hollowman

Thanks, they are absolutely gorgeous!! I love the golden shimmer in the body and the delicate markings. How wonderful to be so successful with the breeding process, you must be very pleased. I am hoping to be so lucky...

Did all the young survive?

Hollowman
Tue May 20, 2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the complement Vanessa. I did cull heavily, and only 2 have made it through, I had a problem with short gills with quite a few of them, as well as the usual culls, but they are in breeding mode again right now, so who knows this time?

Just give them the right conditions Vanessa, and they will do the rest for you I am sure. :wink:

Hollowman

vanessa messig
Tue May 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks Hollowman... this is what I am aiming for... 'the right conditions' and patience, its the key to success but at the moment I am still fighting with those nitrates.

Its a shame only two out of so many made it... Hope you have better luck this time!

Cheers,