PDA

View Full Version : prent wont stop eating eggs

dean30bb
Fri May 16, 2008, 11:10 PM
hey iv egot a breeding pair of discus and they have had about 4 batches of eggs the first two lots were eaten over nite and the others were left there for about 2 to 3 days and then eaten what should i do

Matt15
Sat May 17, 2008, 01:08 AM
Mate its all trial and error. With every trial there's bound to be an error or two which both you and the fish can learn from.

I'm guessing your using some sort of breeding cone.
If so you can make a cover for the cone and use this temporarily until the eggs hatch and the fry become free swimming. Then remove it from the tank. I've never used one myself but i've seen a few pics. You can use a fine mesh wire, simular to bird avery wire or a plastic mesh simular to that used to keep house gutters clean. Both these items can be found at your local hardware.
Also keep in mind that your discus will still need to get close to the eggs. You can watch them using there fins to fan water over the eggs. This helps to keep the eggs clean and also cools them. So don't make the cage/netting too big, try and keep it as close to the breeding cone as possible.

reddevil01
Sat May 17, 2008, 11:09 AM
have these fish ever had wrigglers before because i have had two females spawn in my main tank many times need to watch the fertilization to see if male is fertilizing otherwise 2 females laying will continue to eat there eggs.what im getting at is sometimes people see these fish laying eggs and jump to the conclusion they are a breeding pair and that is what they get sold at.i hope this is not the case for you but just a suggestion!!!!!