PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible

glamgirl
Fri May 16, 2008, 02:09 AM
Hi everyone,
I Have two external eheim cannister filters running together, i was wondering if its possible to feed the outlet of one into the inlet of the other so i dont have so many pipes in my tank??
Would there be any reason why it couldnt work??
Thanks in advance

AHC
Fri May 16, 2008, 02:39 AM
Good question. i would be interested to know if it works too. The only down side i can think of is that with more intake directly from the tank means it does clean through more water. If you join the two together then the flow rate should still be the same as 1 filter. In my mind anyway,

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 07:32 AM
I think that in that instance you would halve the water turn over in your tank, but double the volume and filter time. Not sure if it is worth it tbh. Also I am not sure of the implication of having a 'pressure feed' to the intake of the cannister, it might eventually cause a leak because of over pressure.
I wouldn't risk it, and try to find a way to camoflage the pipes. :(

Hollowman

Liverpool_pete
Fri May 16, 2008, 07:46 AM
IMHO i think as the first filter gets dirty the second filter will try and suck through more water than can pass through the first filter and may burn out the pump. As Hollowman said i think you should try and hide the pipes.

ILLUSN
Fri May 16, 2008, 08:53 AM
It's been done, remove the impeller on the 1st canister and DO NOT PLUG IT IN! force feeding the 2nd canister off the first will cause the head to pop off and burn out the motors.

just run the 2nd canister motor only, fill the 1st with mech media only and the 2nd with biomedia, when you need to clean you replace the mech media and leave the biomedia untouched, mine's been running for months and the biomedia is still spotless.

If you were to do this you would reduce your total flow throuugh your tank by 55% ( 1 filter shut down the 2n'd reduced by 10%), however you will have doubled your biomedia capacity, contact time and media capacity is much more important than flow rate for filtration.

have a look here.
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11079