PDA

View Full Version : Low Light strategy in Discus Tank..

cityguy
Thu May 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
Has anyone tried to cover the overhead lights in a Discus aquarium by placing brownpaper or newspaper on the hood / light cover, to reduce the glare and create a low light amazonian atmosphere for the fishes :roll: I did, and it works great 8-)

Hollowman
Thu May 15, 2008, 03:13 PM
Not really sure of the point of this. The whole point in spending money on such beautiful fish is to show them off to their best. Making a realistic biotope for your fish would allow them a lower light area if thats what you wanted.
imo, putting paper over the lights is not only a waste of electricity, but dangerouse too.

:(

Hollowman

vyberman
Thu May 15, 2008, 04:08 PM
Agreed HM
Not to mention condensation making it go soggy.

I use nymphia stellata (spelling?)
The lilly pad leaves sit on the surface, bring the light down, and look beautiful.

cityguy
Thu May 15, 2008, 05:13 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16387&highlight=

The paper is not stuck on the light, if thats what you are thinking, its self adhesive and fixed over the hood-cover of the light, so the light is sort of seeping through the brown color and creating a low light / shadow light atmosphere.. I used to hear that real color of Discus comes out when they are closest to their natural atmosphere, now I really see it does.. shall send you a picture soon..and you will know how bad the concept is of keeping discus in lighted and bare bottom tanks..

vyberman.. I am not from mars, so as to stick a paper and make it go soggy with water in a discus tank !! The paper is waterproof and the water level is an inch lower than the hood.. this is a speciality of the tank..

..and the spelling is nymphaea stellata.. in simple layman's language, its called "water lily"..

vyberman
Thu May 15, 2008, 05:40 PM
Yes i know they are called lily's.
As are about 50 other species of aquatic plants, hence my use of the correct name!

I would use caution when using any self adhesive papers inside the lid of your tank. You dont know whats in the adhesive!

As far as condesation is concerned, i have never seen a tank that has water at discus temps (or indeed at cooler temps) That does not get condensation on the inside of the lid.
So condensation WILL at some point happen, and when it drips back into the tank there is every chance it will take some of that adhesive with it!

Just as a side issue.
If you insist on starting threads and then insulting the people that reply to them, You will find that you become very unpopular very quickly...no matter which planet you hail from!!!

cityguy
Thu May 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
Nymphaea stellata is the scientific name, while water lily is the common name, you made a spelling mistake which I corrected..

Condensation or drip happens in any tank, but I mentioned that the paper is "water-proof"

In your "side issue" it would be excellent if in future you do not reply to my questions. There are a lot of much more experienced and excellent people here..and they point out to me the right from the wrong, without showing an "attitude"..

cityguy
Thu May 15, 2008, 06:50 PM
Not really sure of the point of this. The whole point in spending money on such beautiful fish is to show them off to their best. Making a realistic biotope for your fish would allow them a lower light area if thats what you wanted.
imo, putting paper over the lights is not only a waste of electricity, but dangerouse too.

Hollowman

Thanks and Noted :roll:

vyberman
Thu May 15, 2008, 07:01 PM
brownpaper or newspaper :roll:

Never seen a waterpoof newspaper

For what its worth I'm not the only person you have been rude to this week!
But you're right, i don't think i will be replying to your posts from now on. I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Proteus
Thu May 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
Keep it civil or this topic gets locked.

Cityguy, if you have an issue with an answer, attack the topic, not the person, nor there spelling.

cityguy
Fri May 16, 2008, 05:22 AM
Keep it civil or this topic gets locked.

Cityguy, if you have an issue with an answer, attack the topic, not the person, nor there spelling.

Sure Proteus, your advice noted, I will not waste time taking advice from someone who cannot even spell things right :-) I Promise..

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 06:58 AM
City, I think what has been said here, is that if you are looking for a way to lower the light level in your tank, then as suggested a fast growing plant can do this. I too use the water lilly, as well as Frogbit, which are floating plants. Amazon swords or large pieces of bogwood can also give cover if that is what you want.
Vyberman does make a very valid point that I never picked up on, that toxins in tape or glues or the paper can make it back into the tank, so try the plant route and lower the risk to your fish.

:wink:

Hollowman

cityguy
Fri May 16, 2008, 07:45 AM
I agree with you, but his way of presentation is not right.. I have 3 x 30watt daylight tubes in my tank, I was wondering if I decrease them to 3 x 15watt, that may help.. but I am unsure if they have 15watt tube's for 4 ft tanks in my LFS..

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 08:06 AM
How about just taking out one or two of the tubes you have? :wink:

H

cityguy
Fri May 16, 2008, 08:07 AM
Not a bad idea at all Pal... Love U :-)

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 08:27 AM
LOL, simplicity it'self :D

H

taksan
Fri May 16, 2008, 09:38 AM
Has anyone tried to cover the overhead lights in a Discus aquarium by placing brownpaper or newspaper on the hood / light cover, to reduce the glare and create a low light amazonian atmosphere for the fishes :roll: I did, and it works great 8-)

:laff4 :laff4 :laff4 :laff4 :laff4 :laff4 :laff4 :laff4 :laff4 :laff4

cityguy
Fri May 16, 2008, 10:03 AM
:-) :monkey :roll: :idea: :shock: :twisted:

hq80
Fri May 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
...if you have an issue with an answer, attack the topic, not the person, nor there spelling.

Sure Proteus, your advice noted, I will not waste time taking advice from someone who cannot even spell things right :-) I Promise..

"...nor there spelling." Should be "...nor their spelling." So is this an attempt at sarcasm towards the admin? Or are you just telling him you're going to ignore his instructions?

Oh, and "...cannot even spell things right" should be "...cannot even spell things correctly" I think, I could be wrong :)

...imo, putting paper over the lights is not only a waste of electricity, but dangerouse too.

Hollowman

Thanks and Noted :roll:

You shouldn't really be taking his advice either as he's gone a spelt "dangerous" wrong.

I know this is my first post on this forum but in my forum experience posters that enter into a spell checking battle usually have no interest in the topic or have lost their initial argument and are trying to save face. But in this case the topic corruption has stemmed from the original thread author so your guess is as good as mine :)

My advice (current value 2 pence), when starting a thread asking for help, would be to value the advice given, however trivial it may seem, and thank the people trying to help you.

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 12:30 PM
You shouldn't really be taking his advice either as he's gone a spelt "dangerous" wrong.

yes, I realised that just after I posted, but the 'edit' function wasn't enabled. Oh well, I'll have to slow down my typing speed and look up once in a while lol :roll: :)

H

hq80
Fri May 16, 2008, 01:18 PM
...he's gone a spelt "dangerous" wrong.

should be "...he's gone and spelt "dangerous" wrong." :wink:

I not bothered how you spell anything Hollowman, it's the message/advice I'm more interested in :D

hq80
Fri May 16, 2008, 01:20 PM
I not bothered how you spell anything...

Should be "I'm not bothered how you smell anything..."

I'm doing well so far :D

samir
Fri May 16, 2008, 01:24 PM
who smelt what ???

samir
Fri May 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
and you will know how bad the concept is of keeping discus in lighted and bare bottom tanks..

that is a load of total cr@p , wild discus are probably an exception.

hq80
Fri May 16, 2008, 05:08 PM
who smelt what ???

You spotted my deliberate mistake :wink:

vyberman
Fri May 16, 2008, 06:20 PM
and you will know how bad the concept is of keeping discus in lighted and bare bottom tanks..

that is a load of total cr@p...

Are you talking about the statement or the grammar? :twisted:

fish_r
Fri May 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
ahhh get over it guys, it's not an English class is it ?

rwel4809
Fri May 16, 2008, 10:59 PM
ahhh get over it guys, it's not an English class is it ?

Well said!

There's no one right answer to a problem... but there is one right way to behave on a forum.. I'm really greatful that there are people with loads of different types of tanks to ask for advice. BB's, biotype, and high light planted, and low light planted all have their benefits, we just have to know what works for each. Having such a large community on this forum who have learnt by trial and error is invaluable... So let's just listen to each other and learn some stuff to keep our fishes happy :D

OK rant over...

Robert

Proteus
Fri May 16, 2008, 11:40 PM
Totally pathetic...

grmmer... spelling.... who cares, there, their, they're, whatever

I think this discussion has run its course

cityguy
Sat May 17, 2008, 01:34 PM
As a wriggler, I always behaved like a wriggler, and rather than finding out hollowman's errors, respected his seniority and asked him questions that he is specialized in.. Discuss about Discus !

Merrilyn
Sun May 18, 2008, 03:55 AM
LOL Okay guys ..... enough.

Let's make allowances for those who do not have spell check on their computer. And really .............. does it matter?

Did you understand the writer's meaning ...... then, enough said.

Cityguy, if you've found a way to cut down the light in your tank, and your fish are happier, then that's wonderful, and thankyou to Hollowman for the simple solution to the light problem.

Time to move on guys.

Aunty has locked the thread :wink:

taksan
Sun May 18, 2008, 11:47 PM
As a wriggler, I always behaved like a wriggler

Keep that thought .....