PDA

View Full Version : Discus Dilemma..

cityguy
Wed May 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
Whats better in a 50 gallon tank ?

6 x 2inch Juvenile Discus (All excellent quality and vibrant colors that are already starting to show)

6 x 2inch Juvenile + 2 x 4inch Melon Discus (not a mating pair), so that the kids does not gets scared.. ;-)

Seriously.. was wondering which option would be better for my 2nd Tank..

Matt15
Thu May 15, 2008, 06:02 AM
Mate you've pretty much asked this question here:
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16469

Four things you should consider:
1.) The discus keeping rule 40 litres per fish
2.) Discus grow and get bigger :shock:
3.) The LESS fish in a tank..... the BETTER!!!!
4.) A school of 6 discus is fine

Cityguy can I suggest you spend some time to read thou old posts on these forums which have been answering questions since Feb 22, 2004. You'll find loads of informative posts..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

cityguy
Thu May 15, 2008, 07:31 AM
Mate Matt15, if you look carefully, both questions are different in nature !! I am not from Timbakto, and I do know what I am asking. Thanks anyway !

Matt15
Thu May 15, 2008, 08:41 AM
Different in nature..... maybe.
Different technically..... no.

We're talking about the same size tank being 50 gallons in both threads, therefore the discus keeping rule remains the same.
THIS IS REGARDLESS OF SIZE..!!!!!!!!! :D

zar
Thu May 15, 2008, 10:07 PM
Matt15 you're not experienced enough to give a professional answer anyway, don't know why you bothered answering. :lol:

siemanthepieman
Thu May 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
Dear Sirs,

I refer to the question posed by 'cityguy' at the top of this page.

It is asserted that it is different in nature to a previously asked question, but observed that it is technically the same.

I believe the difference here is that 'cityguy' wishes to know if there is any advantage in keeping an 'adult' pair of Discus with the juveniles, essentially to prevent them from becoming easily scared.

I get the distinct impression that the keeper is not concerned by the 40L per Discus rule.

Yours faithfully
Simon

(And if that is not prefessional enough for a forum response....)

dwilder
Fri May 16, 2008, 01:45 AM
there is no reason to keep to larger discus in with the younger ones if anything the bigger discus will harras the smaller ones and stress them out

cityguy
Fri May 16, 2008, 05:17 AM
Dear Sirs,

I refer to the question posed by 'cityguy' at the top of this page.

It is asserted that it is different in nature to a previously asked question, but observed that it is technically the same.

I believe the difference here is that 'cityguy' wishes to know if there is any advantage in keeping an 'adult' pair of Discus with the juveniles, essentially to prevent them from becoming easily scared.

I get the distinct impression that the keeper is not concerned by the 40L per Discus rule.

Yours faithfully
Simon

(And if that is not prefessional enough for a forum response....)

Thanks Simon, you understood my question :-)

Merrilyn
Sun May 18, 2008, 05:41 AM
Commercial discus breeders always keep similar sized juveniles together in their grow out tanks.

Noticeably larger or smaller individuals are moved to another grow out tank containing juveniles closer to their own size. Breeders believe that keeping the one size in a tank improves growth of all the fish.

Try to keep fish of a similar size together. There is no real advantage to adding some adult fish to the group of juveniles.

From my own experience, I've found small juveniles don't do well in a group of adults.