PDA

View Full Version : Filter cleaning

glamgirl
Wed May 14, 2008, 11:54 AM
How often does everyone clean their cannister filters?? And can someone please explain the easiest/best way to go about doing this without killing all my good bacteria?? I have noticed the hoses seem to have alot of algae build up lately, is this a problem??
I have two running so cleaning one at a time is probably better than both at once, right :)

ILLUSN
Wed May 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
clean 1 filter at a time around 2 weeks apart, the best way is to drain a couple of buckets of water from your tank and use this to wash your filter media, this will keep the bacteria alive.

clean the hoses as often as needed, you'll need to drain them into a bucket and remove them from the filter and just work a hose cleaning brush from each end, you'll be amazed how much your flow rate improves after a clean.

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 08:22 AM
I dont clean my cannister filters for months at a time, sometimes 6 months. As long as the flow isn't restricted or down to a trickle (I use a pre-filter on the intake, in the tank.)

As for cleaning, when you do a water change, save some of the water, and rinse the filter media in this saved water. do not worry if the media is out of the water for a short time, it's probably better than leaving it standing in still water. When cleaned, return to the cannister, prime and run.
hth

Hollowman :)

glamgirl
Fri May 16, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thankyou all for your advice :)

Hollowman where abouts in the UK are you?? We immigrated nearly 3 years ago from good ole' East London!!!!!!! Going back in 3 weeks for a visit..

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Glamgirl,

I am in the South West, about 40 miles from Bristol, are you a true cock-e-ney ? :D
I dont get to London much, but have a few friends there, in the east end direction.

H :wink:

glamgirl
Fri May 16, 2008, 12:10 PM
hahaha, no i am originally from Liverpool, born scouse. (hang on, thats not any better hehehe)
Have lived longer in essex (ongar) and (chingford) Miss the pubs but not the weather :)

Hollowman
Fri May 16, 2008, 12:34 PM
lol,

alright ! alright! (said in a scouse accent)

Have you lost the urge to put cars up on bricks now you are in Aus'? :shock: lol
only joking :D :lol:

H

vyberman
Fri May 16, 2008, 01:28 PM
LOL hollowman!

I'm from leicester myself :)
Lived in mancs for a while, found the people to be very standoffish. Had a job in liverpool for a few months and found the people extremly friendly.

I know a lady who moved to oz about three years ago. If it turned out to be you that would propper freak me out. :)

vyberman
Fri May 16, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ah, probably not. i just noticed you said "we" immigrated. Ruth went there on her own.

yh88
Thu May 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
I dont clean my cannister filters for months at a time, sometimes 6 months. As long as the flow isn't restricted or down to a trickle (I use a pre-filter on the intake, in the tank.)

As for cleaning, when you do a water change, save some of the water, and rinse the filter media in this saved water. do not worry if the media is out of the water for a short time, it's probably better than leaving it standing in still water. When cleaned, return to the cannister, prime and run.
hth

Hollowman :)

Hi,
would appreciate ur reply on the quest. below
With my AquaClear will a prefilter attached to the intake overwork the pump? Would a Filter Max III Sponge filter be suitable? :)

Hollowman
Thu May 22, 2008, 08:35 AM
Looks ok, I dont use a really fine sponge, like a air driven sponge filter, but a more coarse sponge, but small enough to catch uneaten food floating around or the general rubbish kicked up by the fish. It will help a great deal. I wash these each water change, and dont have any flow problems.

hth

Hollowman :wink: