PDA

View Full Version : Positioning of Internal Heater

cityguy
Wed May 14, 2008, 08:56 AM
Well..there is nothing called external heater, at-least in the aquarium issue, so sorry for my subject above :wink: .. and I am talking about the internal submerged heater of the aquarium..

Whats the best place to position it in the tank, while I generally keep it stuck on the glass (side or back) like this __________ :idea:

...someone was telling me that it works even better, and distributes the heat evenly in the water if kept in the aquarium base, or floor of the tank... :roll:

is it so ? :shock:

Hollowman
Wed May 14, 2008, 10:31 AM
Horizontal is good, some have thiers at a slight angle. I have mine where they get a slight flow from the return of the cannister into the tank. As long as they are not touching the the glass of the tank I dont see an issue, and as long as it is not breaking the surface of the water of course.

hth

Hollowman

vyberman
Wed May 14, 2008, 05:06 PM
Actually there are external heaters.
They are quite expensive though. you place them in line with the out/inlet of your external filter.
Im seriously considering one as its one less bit of kit to make my planted tank look less natural.

As far as internal ones are concerned, just so long as it has water movement and isnt vertical then all is well.
if there is no water movement and its vertical, warm water floats up from the element and makes the thermostat at the top "think" the tank is warmer than it is. But thats kinda obvious really.