PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer for Discus Tank

cityguy
Wed May 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
Is UV Sterilizer necessary for a Discus Tank ? I searched for the answer in the net, and there are contradictory answers..some says yes, some says no.. :roll:

Mitch
Wed May 14, 2008, 09:18 AM
Short answer is yes. For the small out lay of a unit and concidering the price of some discus you would be nuts not to. Pay of its self in no time.

JoeDiscus85
Wed May 14, 2008, 10:20 AM
Id say that they arent 100% necessary. Ive been keeping discus for a while now and no losses, Knock on wood. I dont have a uv-sterilizer but on the same token, I have battled a few times with hex. I would love a uv-sterilizer just dont have that kind of money right now. Im a poor dude trying to keep discus cant always get everything i want for them. I know it would help alot im sure but i dont think your fish would die without one. Just pay attention to them watch their intake and output. You will know if you have healthy fish.

Joe

cityguy
Wed May 14, 2008, 01:13 PM
I agree with you Joe, I think maintaining the water quality by doing a lot of water change is the "key" to Discus keeping..

vyberman
Wed May 14, 2008, 04:54 PM
Not sure if i am "senior" enough to answer "professionally" without getting told off, but here goes ;)

No, they aren't "necessary" as such. But they are very handy.
I have a small internal filter with one built in which i run in addition to the large external filter i have. If you were considering one though i would suggest getting a propper one that goes in line with your external filter. They are much more powerful and you can be sure they work.

I also wouldn't recommend running on an internal uv and nothing else. if you do ever have to use a treatment then you have to turn them off. So if its your only filter then you will be left without one.

But they arent a substitute for water changes. So if you are keeping up with them, then they arent an "essential" bit of kit. They are more of an insurance policy really.

They only really become essential if you own a large system like in a fish shop where many tanks run through one filter. This ensures that if one tank gets sick, the infection don't spread to the other tanks.

vyberman
Wed May 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
Although if you looked in the stickys in this forum you would have found this...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=929

;)

cityguy
Wed May 14, 2008, 05:48 PM
Although if you looked in the stickys in this forum you would have found this...

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=929

;)

Yes, I saw it, and got more confused !! :wink:

vyberman
Wed May 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
Its all that science speak!