PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used MH lighting

Davo
Wed May 14, 2008, 03:27 AM
Has anyone used/anyone using MH lighting on their tanks? I am setting up a 6x2x2.5 tank for geos and discus and was wondering if it would be overkill. I have been looking at a 2nd hand Aquaone MG 1500 (5ft long) which consists of 3 x 150MH bulbs, 4 x 24w & 2 x 18w compact fluoros. Obviously you don't have to run all the lights at once.

The light can be suspended above the tank or it can sit on the tank on adjustable legs. I would not suspend the light as I do not want to drill holes into the ceiling. I have seen MH setups on marine and freshwater tanks and the shimmering effect of the water is fantastic.

I was wondring will the heat be too much and is there a way to calculate the power consumption of the light? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

ILLUSN
Wed May 14, 2008, 04:15 AM
should be fine, the wattage is almost prfect for that size tank (MAYBE EVEN A LITTLE LOW FOR SUPER HIGH LIGHT PLANTS i'm assuming you want it planted?) if not just turn 1 of the lights off.

as for the heat, it will heat the tank, but having some vents drilled into your lids will help the excess heat escape.

Davo
Wed May 14, 2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks illusn,

The hood will be an open hood, just 3 sides and no roof. The tank will be lightly planted with nice driftwood, probably just swords and val etc as I have heard that Geos sometimes uproot plants.

Do you know what the minimal height should be for the light above the water line?

Dave.

ILLUSN
Wed May 14, 2008, 04:45 AM
from memory mate they suggest 150mm, but I'd have to double check tat, still yours sin't a small tank so i doubt that the heat will be that much of an issue, i reckon you could get away with 100mm and still run all 3 globes, my CF is 400w over a 6x2x2, sitting directly on the glass for more light and it heat the entire tank by maybe 2C, so your 450w would do even less on a 6x2x2.5

Davo
Fri May 16, 2008, 10:11 AM
I picked up the light tonight for $350. I will have to change the compact fluoros as they are acintic (blue) with some tri phospher 7.1k tubes when I set the tank up.

I am waiting on a 2nd hand Eheim 2260 that I won on Ebay in Germany. It should get here in about 2 weeks. I will also be buying a Eheim 2080 over here. This should be ample filtration. I will fill the 2080 with the 2080 filter media pack but I am undecided on what I should fill the 2260 with? Any suggestions?

I already have the 6x2 cabinet and I am in the process of buying a 6x2x2.5 tank. Has anyone had any dealings with aquamaster aquariums supplies? I have had a quote from them and they will build the tank 12mm glass for $650. If you have had dealings with them and you do not wish to post you can PM me with the info.

Regards,
Dave

Tommo
Sun May 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hi Mate
Keep your metal halides , At leats 200mm above your tank, also heat will be a problem as halides get very warm indeed ! "Do you use a cover glass ?"

cheers tommo