PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Custom built tank Canberra 3000L x 1000W x 750H

timperthwa
Tue May 13, 2008, 11:25 AM
Can anyone advise me of a reputable shop that can quote on a tank of this size? The shop must be able to deliver and install on site in Gungahlin , ACT.

thanks, Tim

taksan
Tue May 13, 2008, 12:27 PM
That would depend on how wide your door is and on what stand you have for the tank.And on how many guys your going to have available to lift the tank (your going to need at least 6 probably 8).Nobody in their right mind is going to build a tank that size without guarantee's about the floor level and the stand. Your talking over 2.5 tons of weight there.

chorrylan
Tue May 13, 2008, 03:41 PM
That would depend on how wide your door is and on what stand you have for the tank.And on how many guys your going to have available to lift the tank (your going to need at least 6 probably 8).Nobody in their right mind is going to build a tank that size without guarantee's about the floor level and the stand. Your talking over 2.5 tons of weight there.

that size would be safer and easier being built in place I imagine.

If it was me I'd probably see what Wayne at Xtreme Aquariums could do.

timperthwa
Tue May 13, 2008, 11:55 PM
thanks for feedback , I contacted Extreme but they advised they won't deliver to ACT. Have thought ahead re size of tank , it is going into a new house with double front doors and wide hallways , floor has been strengthened to take tank , stand and sump tank , concrete floor has been pre plumbed for waste water, wall has been plumbed for hot , cold and tank water , I even put 3 phase power in and loads of power points just for tank. . . .

I just cant find anyone who will build me the tank :( . . . i did get a pm re Exotic Pets in Kambah so will try them today . . .

Bald_noggin
Tue May 13, 2008, 11:59 PM
that size would be safer and easier being built in place I imagine.

I agree.

I also very much doubt you are going to find someone in Canberra to build a tank of that size. The tank builder will have to come from Sydney or Melbourne and that will increase the cost too.

Taksan, maybe put timperthwa in contact with the people who did yours onsite.

taksan
Wed May 14, 2008, 12:17 AM
Your best option is to get wayne to build it and get it delivered by smartsend.com.au and install it yourself.

gav
Wed May 14, 2008, 02:14 AM
just remember to consider tank weight. that much glass in 15mm will be at least 400kg. my tank was 300+ and that was bad enough with 7 people involved. 400 plus i wouldnt even consider doing. if i was to do mine again, it would get built on site, simply cos its just safer and easier.

Fishontherun
Wed May 14, 2008, 03:56 AM
hi .. you may wanna try St George Aquarium in Rockdale, Sydney. I've seen they built tanks as large in their workshop. They can also advise on other issues related to tank of that size.
cheers.

AHC
Wed May 14, 2008, 05:46 AM
You could possibly see if somebody experienced will show you the way of tank building. If your a confident DIYer who can get the right glass and the engineering right then it could be a fun, cheaper experience.

http://www.austinglass.com.au/aquariums.html

Xtreme
Wed May 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
I replied to your email today, i dont think that they were the sizes you sent me though?

chorrylan
Wed May 14, 2008, 04:26 PM
thanks for feedback , I contacted Extreme but they advised they won't deliver to ACT.
. . i did get a pm re Exotic Pets in Kambah so will try them today . . .

I'd still suggest continuing talking to Wayne or some of the other sydney based tank builders.
You don't want him to "deliver" the tank per se; you want him to supply and cut the glass then you sort out getting the glass delivered and then pay him to come and build it on site.

I don't think I'd be getting something like this from Exotic pets (Peter I think?). Purely because their main focus is snake/lizard/turtle/frog enclosures in 6 or 10mm glass. Not the same thing as making a monster aquarium.

If you really want a local builder then try getting in contact with Clint Dixon. Clint used to own Neptunes haven a long way back and still makes tanks sometimes. Whitepages lists his number as 0438 382 139.
I don't think he'll be concerned about having his number publicized as it's his business number (plumber) but if he asks tell him you got it from a Laurie Chan (I have over a dozen clint-built tanks in my fishroom but only up 5x2 and 6x2 sizes... no monsters. )

timperthwa
Sat May 17, 2008, 12:43 AM
thanks to everyone for you feedback on this . . .

Have taken on board all comments which has been very helpful , can anyone advise if there is a recommended thickness of glass I should be after here as I am definitely after a high quality aqm and do not want to save a few $ up front if it will cause me issues later on . .

thanks, Tim

timperthwa
Sat May 17, 2008, 01:33 AM
hi xtreme . . . from my email to you:

Message: Can you please advise if you can supply an aquarium 3000L x 750H x
1000W?

is same dimensions . . rgds, Tim

ROCKO
Sat May 17, 2008, 09:56 AM
order the glass straight outta veridian (used to be Pilks) and make it youself. will be alot cheaper and alot more satisfying. 15mm will be adequate but you will need to brace it well. height of tank is the killer when it comes to glass thickness but at 750mm you wont have any dramas. wouldn't go any higher though.....tanks are a peice of piss to make, the bigger ones are easier than the smaller ones.

Xtreme
Sat May 17, 2008, 11:39 AM
hi xtreme . . . from my email to you:

Message: Can you please advise if you can supply an aquarium 3000L x 750H x
1000W?

is same dimensions . . rgds, Tim

15mm glass, can be built here, will tak 4-6 guys to lift it, if you can arrange to have it picked up. Ring the office on Tuesday for further discussions and price (havent got my pricelist on me).

Cheers

Rebecca