PDA

View Full Version : how to put backing on the tank

axl
Mon May 12, 2008, 04:34 AM
Hi,
what is the best product to use to put blue backing on my tank. I have tried silicon and that didnt work. Any suggestions Cheers Axl

easty1
Mon May 12, 2008, 07:05 AM
I used blue contact paper and just applied the sticky side to the tank if you use soapy water on the glass first and squegie the covering on its easier to apply

Matt15
Mon May 12, 2008, 07:42 AM
Axl i've recently touched on this subject myself. I ended up using vinyl but I highly recommend you get help to apply it or a professional to install it. You can purchase it from any good signage places....;)

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20

reddevil01
Mon May 12, 2008, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone i am new to this forum and just a little tip i have put on many back grounds and if your are talking about the type that is avail at your lfs you use vasoline this is applied by hand smear thin layer over the entire glass surface then apply the background once you have it in position begin to scrape the eccess vasoline out using a flat objedt e.g ruler.cd cover this is messy but once finished comes up great.

fish_r
Mon May 12, 2008, 11:24 AM
my LFS has had a new product in for about a month now that is some kind of glue specifically used for attaching the roll out type of aquarium backgrounds, next time i'm in there i will find out what it's called.

on another note i spray painted the back of my 5ft recently and it turned out great i will be doing this to all my tanks eventually, the only thing u have to mt ur tank...

reddevil01
Mon May 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hey fish_r have you been down to clearwater aquariums and had a look at there discus what do think was thinking about purchasing a couple of young melons

fish_r
Mon May 12, 2008, 02:02 PM
PM sent Red :wink:

fish_r
Wed May 14, 2008, 08:09 AM
this is the stuff i was talking about Axl
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+6635+18280&pcatid=18280