PDA

View Full Version : Plastic and silk Plants in Discus Tank

cityguy
Sun May 11, 2008, 11:32 AM
Would it make any difference in the water quality or anything that really matters of the tank if I do not use real plants, but high quality plastic and silk plants ? They look very genuine and are non toxic too. :o

Matt15
Mon May 12, 2008, 02:20 AM
No offence but plastic plants are suited for goldfish keepers.
Everbody to there own choice of course....;)

albatrozz
Mon May 12, 2008, 06:31 AM
No offence but plastic plants are suited for goldfish keepers.
Everbody to there own choice of course....;)
I agree. If you're a beginner or looking for the easiest option then get plastic plants. But real plants are by far more rewarding, challenging and better looking.

cityguy
Mon May 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
This still does not answers my question, apart from degrading the goldfish keepers.. my question was whether it makes any difference in the water quality or anything that matters in the tank..

I am not looking for a challenging career in fishkeeping, i am seeking a relaxing hobby..

fish_r
Mon May 12, 2008, 02:07 PM
no the proper aquarium plants will not effect the water conditions. but if u have lighting i would suggest trying to grow some of the basic live plants as they are good for water quality IE: they add oxygen etc. depending on what lighting u have some of the basic plants like Java fern mosses vals, crypts etc are really easy to grow well and look a lot better than silk or plastic.

Hollowman
Mon May 12, 2008, 03:01 PM
Hi City,

Plastic and silk plants are ok. Make sure that they 'are' for aquariums though. Some plastics do leech toxins into water.

hth

Hollowman

JoeDiscus85
Mon May 12, 2008, 09:34 PM
Id use real plants, My tank is heavily planted, The plants help keep the nitrates at 0. Like somone already stated they provide oxygen and just look great!. You can look back and be proud of these giant plants you have grown from a tiny bulb!.

Joe

Merrilyn
Sun May 18, 2008, 04:09 AM
Cityguy, you can use plastic or silk plants if you wish. Some of them are very realistic and you fish won't mind either way.

They will need to be removed on a regular basis and cleaned of algae which will undoubtedly cover everything in the tank if left unattended.

A lot of discus keepers like the idea of real plants because they do benefit the quality of the water. They use up nitrate, which is the final product of your bio-filtration, so they do help to keep the water quality high. During the hours of light, they remove carbon dioxide from the water and convert it into oxygen, another benefit for your fish. However, during the hours of darkness, they actually absorb oxygen and release carbon dioxide, so you must always have an additional means of adding oxygen to your tank. You can't rely on plants alone.

As you know, fish waste produces nutrients which are normally used by the plants. In the absence of living plants, algae will take up the nutrients, and grow quite quickly in your tank.

A few fast growing stem plants, like wisteria will act like a sponge and take up all those nutrients, leaving very little for algae to thrive. It's quite a simple way to cut down on your tank maintenance.

cityguy
Sun May 18, 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks a Lot Merrilyn, for this answer and all the other ones you told me..