PDA

View Full Version : Difficult and Easy to maintain Discus strains ?

cityguy
Thu May 08, 2008, 07:19 PM
Are there easy to care and difficult to care strains in Discus as some people say ? My LFS was saying that taking care of Cobalt Blue, Turquoise, Golden-Yellow etc Discus are much more difficult than takin care of marlboro Red, Pigeon Blood, Snakeskin etc..

Is this true, or just a myth ?

Moreover, from experience, what do you suggest.. it is easier to take care and retain colors of single color Discus or design color Discus ?Thanks everyone for your answers.. :idea:

cityguy
Fri May 09, 2008, 08:51 AM
Seems no one knows ... :-(

Merrilyn
Fri May 09, 2008, 10:48 AM
LOL don't forget the time difference, and some of us do have full time jobs :lol:

Okay, well I think the older strains are easier to keep. That is the turquoise, ( either red or blue), cobalt blues and marlboro reds. I guess you could probably add blue diamonds to that list now, as that strain has been established for quite some time now.

If you're new to discus, then I'd add "get the larger size discus."

Small discus (under 3 inches) of any strain are more delicate than larger ones. If you have the opportunity to purchase 2 inch discus or 4 inch discus, go for the larger ones every time.

cityguy
Fri May 09, 2008, 11:00 AM
LOL don't forget the time difference, and some of us do have full time jobs :lol:

Okay, well I think the older strains are easier to keep. That is the turquoise, ( either red or blue), cobalt blues and marlboro reds. I guess you could probably add blue diamonds to that list now, as that strain has been established for quite some time now.

If you're new to discus, then I'd add "get the larger size discus."

Small discus (under 3 inches) of any strain are more delicate than larger ones. If you have the opportunity to purchase 2 inch discus or 4 inch discus, go for the larger ones every time.

Got it, sorry and Thank U :)

Merrilyn
Fri May 09, 2008, 11:11 AM
No problems cityguy.

Nice to see someone who is so eager to learn about their fish.

Keep asking questions. That's the way we all learn. :P

cityguy
Fri May 09, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thank You.. Right now I have 3 melon red, 1 snakeskin and 1 turquoise blue.. 5 in all. I am going to decrease 2 melons and add 1 marlboro red and 1 yellow, just to bring more colors and varities in the tank.. thus was asking..