PDA

View Full Version : I want more filtration!

fiftycal
Wed May 07, 2008, 11:59 AM
Currently on my 6x2x2, I have a bioball sump, a eheim 2217 and a 36w pondmaster UV.

I am thinking of getting maybe an eheim 2228, a pentair FBF and maybe another 36w pondmaster. Are any of these necessary, or am I really going overkill? They would be nice, but I could put the money toward a new TV or sound system or a holiday or something.

Is another UV worthwhile?

Should I just attach a FBF to my eheim 2217, which already has the UV on it?

taksan
Wed May 07, 2008, 12:55 PM
Another UV isn't worth it as a 36w Pm on a 2217 is already a wee bit of overkill on a 6x2x2 (although I do it too).
What are you hoping to achieve with this extra filtration? Whats the reason you feel you need more? Ammonia showing? Nitrite? If there is nothing showing in your water tests then you really don't need additional filtration if there is something showing then the culprit is likely to be a inefficient sump set up rather then the lack of filtration.

fiftycal
Thu May 08, 2008, 11:42 AM
Its more want than need :P

No ammonia or nitrate at all, but theres no such thing as overkill :P.

TomNS
Fri May 09, 2008, 01:27 AM
you could take my approach :)

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16404

Tom

fiftycal
Fri May 09, 2008, 04:36 AM
Im temped to just get a FBF and attach it to my 2217, before the UV steriliser. I will unpack the 2217 a little bit to get the flow up a little bit more. I filled it up alot

ILLUSN
Fri May 09, 2008, 05:25 AM
2217 does not have the flow for an fb900 which uses 12/16mm hoseing, some of the other brands use 16/22mm (easily fixed with a few reducers).

not to give FBF's a bad name, but my fb900 sprung a leak from the base which just got worse and worse, you could DIY one which I've done and the cost was around $80 for a 2m tall monster FBF.

they work great. i think a second uv would be overkill, but if it makes you feel better it wont do any harm to your tank.

fiftycal
Sat May 10, 2008, 09:09 AM
What about attaching the FBF to my sump pump? I could attach an adjustable bypass to regulate the flow of water through the FBF

ILLUSN
Sun May 11, 2008, 12:05 AM
that would be the way to go.

not sure why but the eheim canister pumps dont seem to like having a uv and a fbf on the outtake (i guess just too much resistance) you'll have much better results on the sump pump.

fiftycal
Sun May 11, 2008, 01:43 PM
Could you recommend the FBF900?

Im not that keen on making my own FBF, as I have no prior experience with FBFs

ILLUSN
Mon May 12, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'd love to, but, the build quality just isn't there, if you want you can have mine to reseal and give it a go, the biological capacity is trully unbelievable, just i cant afford anything that leaks that bad on my system.

fiftycal
Tue May 13, 2008, 01:43 AM
Ah darn.

Might give the FB900 a miss too. My tank is too close to a home theatre system and a TV for me to risk something that leaky.

TW
Tue May 13, 2008, 03:40 AM
Sorry, I have to show my ignorance here, as I'm too curious not to ask. What is an "FBF" and an "FB". Are they UV's?

Sorry for dumb question.

ILLUSN
Tue May 13, 2008, 04:24 AM
Fb = fluid bed (the model were talking about is a FB900 a 90cm tall fluid bed filter made by pentair aquatics)
fbf = fluid bed filter

http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1172

bassicly just a bed of sand in constant motion (hence fluidised with water), they have massive surface area and a HUGE biological capacity, with nice low flow rate (my FB900 runs at around 750L/hr and is rated for something like a 3000L tank)

they have 0 mechanical filtration, 0 capacity for chemical filtration (unless filled with purigen or a VERY fine zeolite sand) this is a problem as the water MUST be prefiltered of all suspended solids or else the filter will clog, go anerobic and poison the tank.

fiftycal, the next time your out my way drop in and I'll give the the run down on a super cheep, super simple FBF.