PDA

View Full Version : any one has experience in worming in planted tank

Fishontherun
Tue May 06, 2008, 10:16 AM
hi guys,
I have a fairly dense planted tank... now worming my discus. Question is I believe Levamisole make fish passes paralyzed worms, and we mean to vacuum them all out. I think it's impossible to do a through out vacuum in a planted tank. Some might think about treating them in a separate tank, then how can we be sure other fish in main tank are not infected ? please advise.
Cheers

JoeDiscus85
Tue May 06, 2008, 10:23 AM
Id have to agree with you. It would be almost impossible to gaurentee you got them all... Deffinately hospital tank im going through the same dilemna myself.....

Joe

Fishontherun
Tue May 06, 2008, 10:37 AM
here is the suspect

Hollowman
Wed May 07, 2008, 10:38 AM
Why do you suspect worms? What are the symptoms? :?:

Fishontherun
Wed May 07, 2008, 02:00 PM
hi hollowman,
I got white stringy poo, 1 clamped fin with rapid respiration, not eating (except sometime nibling at frozen bloodworm), also her 2 under belly fin sometime do the "sweeping" or rubbing around the vent area .. like us scratching our itchyness..

AHC
Wed May 07, 2008, 10:23 PM
My 2c is that is sounds like flukes too! Treat with the levisomole for the worms. After, either do a PP dip for the flukes or you could use the Prazi (Aqua Master Fluke & Tapeworm).

Goodluck

Fishontherun
Thu May 08, 2008, 12:03 AM
thanks AHC,
I'm thinking PP dip, never done it before. I guess it will save me from the vacuuming as well as time, and it looks more efficient by the people opinions in this forum.

AHC
Thu May 08, 2008, 01:05 AM
yeah PP is effective mate. Just be careful.

If you have a planted tank then dont treat the tank. Transfer to a bucket and do a 10mg PP bath for 10minutes. Watch for signs of stress and remove if need be. You can get the PP from chemists. (i get mine from Soul Pattersons in Pitt St.) There are lots of threads about using PP so be sure to read up and you will be sweet. I have posted a link to the PP sticky.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14585

zar
Thu May 08, 2008, 02:06 AM
i think hex is far more common than worms. not sure if loss of appetite is a sign of worms, it definitely is a sign of hex and/or flukes.
i'm guessing your fish doesnt have worms but hex and probably is fluke infested.
if you pp dip your fish, and then you take him back into your tank where all the flukes and fluke eggs are still there, i don't think you'll achieve much, he'll be stressed and then probably get flukes again very quickly. maybe a pp dip and then into a clean cycled tank??
if it'd be i wouldn't worry much about flukes at this point, i'd try a metro treatment first with daily waterchanges.

and btw the suspect is a very nice fish :)

Fishontherun
Thu May 08, 2008, 02:40 PM
thanks ZAr & AHC. I've actually dropped the pp approach for now, after reading further. I decided to start "soft" and use Prazi for whole tank treatment. Can we buy Metro from lfs and what is it called?

zar
Thu May 08, 2008, 10:05 PM
no you can't. i think there is a product made by seachem with metro but i dont know if it's being sold here in aus, never seen it myself.
Metro is an antibiotic and is sold as metrogyl or flagyl in pharmacies, you need a prescription for it.

AHC
Thu May 08, 2008, 10:26 PM
[quote] I got white stringy poo,[quote]

White stringy poo is worms. Don't treat for hex unless you know its hex. Hex shows white fluffy poo like jelly. You need to be sure! My oppinion is that hex is not as common as worms.

Like i said. if you say its white stringy poo then its worms and treat for worms. Once you have done that - treat for flukes (using what ever method you are comfortable with).

if you are treating hex and need metro - i took a photo copy of the metro sticky to a chemist and asked the pharmisist if she will supply me some. She was very helpful knowing it was for the fish and was interested to know how it goes. I suggest taking a copy of the sticky so they know its for the fish.