PDA

View Full Version : At Wits end

yh88
Tue May 06, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hi All,

I am really at my wit s end as to how to get my 3 of 4 discus to eat their Sera discus granules. Of the 4, the yellow-red discus is the most voracious - it eats just about anything if it is hungry from flakes to veg wafers meant for catfishes. One of the discus the striped bluish red one always follows the yellow-red one to feed, but then it doesnt know how to eat from underneath the cone from which I feed them. Some articles claim that some discus are genetically deficient in their sight. I have 2 cones to feed them in case the smallest yellow-red discus gets bullied. But the smallest one just doesnt have the appetite for the granules, but is easily attracted to live blood worms and mosquito larvae - so also the most dominant one which has not appetite for the granules except live bloodworms.

I was told by the LFS that I should starve them for 2 days and then see what happens, but it doesnt seem to work. As I have stated I have one fish that has a great affinity for food thought it spits it out for the smaller fish to eat when it is full - it just like to 'peck' at everything.

Yes, eversince I changed to feeding them live blood worms (when they werent attracted to the Spectrum granules meant for tropical fish) their stools have gone white - but hasnt seem to have any effect on the voracious one which is 3rd in the pecking order. The most dominant one and the little one are always hiding away, I dont know how they are going to survive if they don t seem to eat at all/ :wink:

rwel4809
Tue May 06, 2008, 07:15 AM
white faeces and spitting out food... sounds like it could be flagellates?? What do the rest of you think??

Robert

JoeDiscus85
Tue May 06, 2008, 10:17 AM
Sounds like it to me.. Thats what all of mine have done. Try to get your hands on some metro.

Joe