PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Discus, oldbie in Fishkeeping, seeks advice

cityguy
Sun May 04, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hello everyone, hi and a great week wish to you all.. I have been keeping fish since 2001, and currently the proud owner of a goldfish tank, an asian arowana tank, and a flowerhorn tank..

I wanted to try my hands on (difficult!) Discus, so have got myself 3 x red discus, (each about 5 inches) and have housed them in a 65 gallon tank with aged water.. The tank is running on a Fluval 5 External Filter, is planted, heater running at 29 degree C (82 degree F). Tankmates includes some red eye tetra, a juvenile fire eel (8 inches), and 3 clown loaches. Its a planted tank with Amazon and sand substrata..

This is how I have started off, and its just 48 hrs now, the fishes seems fine, eating heartily (frozen bloodworm, fed them twice in the last 48 hrs), and I would love to know anything else that I should keep in mind or need to be done..

Take Care and I am happy to now become a part of this forum.. :D

Mitch
Tue May 06, 2008, 06:56 AM
Welcome cityguy, sounds like a pretty good set up. Just keep an eye on the clown loaches, they can really stress out your discus, especially at night.
Also is the whole tank setup 48hrs old or the discus have only been in 48hrs. If the tank is only 48hrs old your discus are going to struggle through the cycling phase of the tank, if so keep a reel close eye on your amonia and nitrite. :)