PDA

View Full Version : spawning again but doesnt look to good

Andy123
Sat May 03, 2008, 08:21 AM
hey all
as u may mav read a while bak my discus had their first attempt as spawning.this was a failed attempt but eggs were laid(male didnt do hs job...thought he liked caviar too much) and then a leak sprung in the tank and they were put off for a month. after being bak into the main tank for just over a week they are at it again. and this time i am having difficulty again. it appears that the male isnt doin wot he is meant to be doin. he is cleaning and flickering...so is the female but then he will peck at her when she goes to do a run. and somtimes whe cleaning. the pecking/headbutt is into the side and tube. this also happened last time but is worse i think now-(the female satrted cleaning a peice of driftwood infront of pot for a short period of time before moving bak to the pot). here is a video of the action
http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p60/fishkid951/?action=view&current=thisone.flv

please help me identify the problem as this happened last time too. wot can i do to help it?
i dont expect fry cause its a community tank but to see the eggs last a day or more wood be nice.
andy

Andy123
Tue May 06, 2008, 09:00 AM
no 1 knows??

Hollowman
Tue May 06, 2008, 12:39 PM
Possibly 2 females :wink:

Matt15
Wed May 07, 2008, 06:58 AM
My females are always fighting for spots to lay. There's a very small change that if it is a male, he's not ready. But i'd proberly guess you've got two females too.

Andy123
Wed May 07, 2008, 09:04 AM
damn...i thought that my smaller one(def female cause i saw her lay once) was female and the larger one was male because this one had never laid and nerer looked to lay. i guess i may need to find a male then...is this common for females to do this?? these 2 always hang around each other and somtimes defend the tank against my third discus

Hollowman
Wed May 07, 2008, 09:36 AM
It seems to be reasonably common to hear this. Can you post up a clear side on photo of each, I'll take a guess, and dont say which is which, that will add to the fun.

Anyone else can have a go too. :wink:

Hollowman

Andy123
Thu May 08, 2008, 08:25 AM
OK will get a clear side on photo of them both asap. thanks for all your help

Andy123
Fri May 09, 2008, 09:39 AM
ok here is the link of the tread i made a while ago...fish hav grown but still general idea...the eggs thwere were from last batch...not this time(no eggs this time cause of this circumstance)

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15551&highlight=

Andy123
Thu May 22, 2008, 06:44 AM
does anyone know?? i know it is hard if at all possible but they were kinda dpoin it again last night for a short while but stopped for some reason. pics are in the thread from the last post...here is it again
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15551&highlight=

please help me out.

Andy123
Wed May 28, 2008, 07:56 AM
ok tonight they are goibn at it again...same thing happening. i think it was brought by the storm that has ramdomly appeared outsode my house. i took some pics...please take a guess at wot sex thay are...
photo 1
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p60/fishkid951/P5280040.jpg

photo 2
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p60/fishkid951/P5280037.jpg

there u go hallowman..take ur guess at wot sex they are. ohh and hav fun...btw this is not just for hallowman but every1 who wants to give it a shoot(if u are wrong it doesnt really matter but estimated guesses are greatly appreciated;) )

Matt15
Wed May 28, 2008, 08:02 AM
Sorry for not replying sooner Andy, you've been asking the same question for awhile now.

Mate to be dead honest its bloody hard to judge the sex of a fish based on a photo unless its a fully grown adult. And even then its still hard.

My guess would be a male but don't hold me on that... :lol:

Andy123
Wed May 28, 2008, 09:04 AM
lo well the eggs hav been laid and eaten again...its quite anoying cause this is the third time...but i know its all a patience thing if it is male and female...well i know there is no 100%way but its always good to see wot ppl think. which photo did u think was male? ill tell u...one is definatly female as i hav seen her lay eggs a few times:P

Hollowman
Wed May 28, 2008, 12:26 PM
Second photo looks female to me, can't tell from the first photo what that it is (best guess anyway). :)

You need to watch them very closely next time they lay.

Hollowman

Merrilyn
Thu May 29, 2008, 04:56 AM
My guess is that the first pic is a male, and the second pic a female :P

At best, it's just a guess without actually seeing the fish in the flesh.

AHC
Thu May 29, 2008, 05:20 AM
yeah im with mez,

Despite being too young to tell and possibly two females, my guesstimate based on the thought that they could be male and female:

The first photo - male because the dorsal fin looks like it could have the start of the geometry flick. The fin is down though so could be my eyes - i tend to over analyse. There is also what could be the start of a forehead lump and the anal fin is quite close to the male member tube.

The second photo could be a lady because her dorsal fin is quite rounded/short (but then again males are too when they are young) and her anal fins are further away. That and she has that 'look' in her eye. :lol:

Andy123
Thu May 29, 2008, 06:12 AM
Now a few people have guessed...its time for answers...

PHOTO 1: DEFINATE female(i have seen it laying eggs....you can see the tube dropped in the photo. I think the fin looks like it is getting geometry flick from the angle or position of the fins at time of photo...certainly doesn't look like that usually)

PHOTO 2: ???????

I will try to get better pics of them soon...

Hollowman
Thu May 29, 2008, 06:50 AM
2 females Andy :wink:

H

Andy123
Thu May 29, 2008, 08:12 AM
DAMN

i hope you are wrong but doubt it...lol

Hollowman
Thu May 29, 2008, 08:19 AM
Sorry bud, I could be wrong, and hope so for your sake. :wink:

Andy123
Thu May 29, 2008, 11:01 AM
wot is this thing with the distance between the anal fin and somthing else?

AHC
Thu May 29, 2008, 10:16 PM
Sorry, Pelvic fin - not anal fin. Femals have a larger gap between the pelvic fin and the tube. But you cannot judge based on that alone. Your best bet is thinking they are 2 females so its not a big let down if they are.
i have a pair of casual lesbians too so i know how you feel. :oops: