PDA

View Full Version : co2 and canister filters

easty1
Wed Apr 30, 2008, 02:26 AM
if you feed co2 directly into the intake of a cannister filter would it aid the absorbtion of the co2 into the water ,If it works it would get rid of the need for a unsightly reactor in the tank .please give me your views on the idea before I try it out

Mick (Easty1)

Noddy65
Wed Apr 30, 2008, 04:12 AM
Hi Mick
Yep that will work...many people do it.
However...there is one caution...some canisters will 'hold' onto the gas, forming a bubble inside the cansiter. This can occasionally be released as a 'big burp' or sometimes it makes the canister filter very noisy...its up to you.
Ive also heard (but am not convinced on how true this is) that the CO2 bubble that accumulates in the canister can shorten the life of the impellar (CO2 can be corrosive apparently).

The 'new' theory on CO2 is that it does a better job if its directed onto the plants directly. Many people now use one of those glass diffusors and let a power head blow the tiny bubbles around the tank, directly onto the plants.

Regards
Mike :)

rwel4809
Wed Apr 30, 2008, 06:38 AM
I have a glass diffuser under the intake of an Eheim 2217 - I think you loose less C02 this way... as all the little bubbles get broken down further by the filter.

Robert

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:14 AM
i bubbled co2 into an eheim 2213 on an 80L tank, with diy yeast mix i got co2 levels over 40ppm (great for a plant only tank), it worked so well i couldn't believe it! it did give the occasional burp of co2 out of the spray bar but it happend once every 2-3 days in wither and up to 2x a day in summer (hotter weather more active yeast)