PDA

View Full Version : breeding with a fish tank divider?

Jonnywhoop
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 06:52 AM
is it possible to breed discus by seperating the tank with a divider? i know it wouldnt be as effective as totally seperating the fish, but the only other tank i have is a 10g which is way too small. i would make the tank bare etc etc, just with the divider in the middle cutting off the other fish to the breeding pair.

is it possible? thanks.

Hollowman
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
Yes it is possible, but it depends on what you intend to seperate the tank with really, what do you have in mind ?

Hollowman

Jonnywhoop
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 02:03 PM
well im guessing to seperate a tank with a divider, esp if your breeding, you would need a divider with really small holes so fry doesnt slip through?i honestly dont know yet. im just seeing my options that i can use down the road. it was just a thought i had.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 30, 2008, 07:10 AM
I've never had good luck with a divider, the fry always seem to find a way out and get lost in the void, if you were going to try it wrap the divider with a sheet of fine filter wool fo as theres noway they can get through.

Hollowman
Wed Apr 30, 2008, 08:21 AM
I have used this product before, not sure if you can get them in Aus, but it works a treat.

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/aquarium-accessories-5/tank-dividers-95/pennplax-tank-dividers-5.html

The divider is a perspex sheet with lots of very fine holes in, it stays in place and makes a good fry seal.

hth

Hollowman

Merrilyn
Fri May 02, 2008, 11:58 AM
Looks great Hollowman.

Unfortunately I've never seen them in Aus.

Hollowman
Fri May 02, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Merrylin,

Yes, that would be the problem, although they can be bought on e-bay and shipped. :)

H