PDA

View Full Version : electricity bill??

axl
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hi,
I want to work out how much my tank is costing to run in terms of electricity. My bill seems quite high and the wife is on my back and she blames the tank so i want to work it out. Im running 2 x 300w heaters, 1 air pump, 1 x compact light, 1 x fluro light and 2 x cannisters. Does anyone no what this would cost to run per day. Cheers Axl

Liverpool_pete
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 03:01 AM
Axl,
Depending on the cost of your electricity and the amount of time each thing is running and the wattage of the lights pump and filters i would say between 50c and $1.50 per day. If you could give the wattage of each of the items we could be more specific.
The calc is (Wattage * number of hours on per day)/1000 this will give you how many KWh per day you are using then multiply that by your electricity rate.

I hope that helps.

N.B remember your heater is not on all the time it may be on as little as 10 mins every hour.

Matt15
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 03:09 AM
Sounds like my wife mate, although I must admit that she gets better about things as time goes by.

You can purchase one of these gagets from Jaycar for about $40. Just punch in what your paying for electricity and this gaget will give you a cost figure. Sounds too easy really.... :D
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6115&CATID=&keywords=Energy+Meter&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

TW
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 03:14 AM
Try something like this link http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/energywise_calculator.cfm

Yopu might need to find one that's relevant to the area you live in. This one's QLD - other's come up when you do a google search for electricity calculator.

Hope it helps

rwel4809
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 04:52 AM
yes...I have had a substantially higher electricity bill since running my planted discus tank too...

Still its a damn site cheaper and more rewarding than our national passtime of playing the pokies!! :D

I find you can also replace 'playing the pokies' with 'smoking', or if you're really desperate 'drug addiction' when defending your fish from a hostile spouse... (so long as you're a non smoker/drug addict that is...) :D

Robert

axl
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 05:02 AM
Ha ha thats it, im not any of the above apart from a few cans here and there. Just calculated that my tank is costing 0.80 cents per day to run, break down is

Filters, air pump - 0.23 cents
Lights - 0.35 cents
Heaters - 0.22 cents

So thats not to bad i have to go home tnite and show the wife the breakdown, she still wont believe those figures. Plus its times 2 becuase i have 2 tanks running. Cheers Axl