PDA

View Full Version : how many neons

luvmydiscus
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 09:14 PM
Going to get some neons for my tank tomorrow. At .98 cents each I cannot pass this up. I would like to know how many would be a nice school for my 25 gal?

My discus is still small so I don't think I have to worry about them being eaten.

Mattzilla
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 01:24 AM
a school of about 25 looks great! i had 25 for a while and they looked spectacular.

the bigger the school the better i say

luvmydiscus
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 03:34 AM
Would that many be to much for my 25 gal though?

jim
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 03:54 AM
I think it's too much for 25 Gal tank...plus you have some other fish too....I will say between 8-12 is good for 25 Gal tank

jim
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:02 AM
But I personally don't like neon tetra...because if one fish got neon disease...you will end up total lost..and neon disease can not be cure....

I still like cardinal tetra better :-)

luvmydiscus
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:10 AM
I know they are better fish. Here in the area where I live our LFS do not carry them. For one they area alot more money and second the LFS around say they do not do well in our water.

So neons it is, we even have a hard time getting rummy nose tetras. We have a huge selection of fish here in Canada but some we just don't get.

Shipping in these fish is just not worth the cost, so I will just have to go with what I can get.

To give you an idea of the cost of cardinals when they can get the odd few in is 9.99 CDN :shock: Now that is a huge cost for these fish in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice about the amount. I had my mind set on 8 to begin with but just wanted to see what everyone thought.

Chafule
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:50 AM
wot bout some rosabaras?
srry cant spell >.<

luvmydiscus
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 02:25 AM
Hi, well my shopping for neons did not go well. They were all sold out and the fish which is a huge selection was in terrible shape. Needless to say this is one of those big "pet" stores.

So many dying fish it was unreal. I was so mad that over in the saltwater section I was giving the girl there things on what they could do to make sure these fish don't end up like the state they were in today.

I also have a marine tank.

It is so mad, especially when you see these saltwater fish they are trying to sell for huge amounts of money, we all know that saltwater fish are quite expensive but they just don't seem to care about them. Then don't bring them into the store is what I say.

Anyways, we have another store here that has some nice fish and I will go there when I have a moment. The store I was at today was out of our town, 30 min away.

Yes there is all sorts of rasboras one could put in, I am quite partial to the look of the neons though for my tank setup.

Season's Greetings

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 03:13 AM
oops, just realised you are talking about a 25 gal tank...not a 125 gal tank....sorry

yes 25 would be too many...lol

jim from sydney
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 10:36 AM
i agree with Jim from Chatswood.......be careful with neons......i purchased 12 at one time and they looked great in the LFS....clean tanks...happy fish....no dead ones etc. etc. after a few days some of my other tropicals got sick and almost wiped out my fish population.
Neons are known to carry diseases more so than others. Cardinals are better than neons, look better are bigger. If you still want to buy neons put them in a quarantine tank for 3 weeks (on their own) and see. there-after things should be OK.......i should have done the same...needless to say what i think about neons.

good luck Jim