PDA

View Full Version : discus breeding

dean30bb
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 07:16 AM
hey
my discus are just starting to breed i was wondering if it would be a good idea too try and raise the eggs and fry my self
thanks dean

Mr Discus
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 07:38 AM
The parents are the best carers for the eggs that mother nature can provide - assuming they dont eat them.

More to the point - discus fry NEED their parents to survive in the early stages of their life, as the feed on the mucus secreted from the adult discus' skin. Without this they wont make it very far in life.

If anything you can remove the 2 discus to a separate tank if they are not already in one on their own.

JoeDiscus85
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
According to jack wattleys book, you can artificially raise them by feeding egg yolk, But it looks like so much work!!!! Like Mr discus said mother nature will do her thing.

Joe

the_oracle
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 02:11 AM
I'm with Mr Discus........
Leave em with the parents. Thats the best you can do. Once the juvs can feed on their own, you may transfer the parents and only then you can raise em on your own....

Sanie.

cityguy
Tue May 06, 2008, 05:36 AM
Just wondering, what kind of environment would be needed to breed Discus in a home tank.. (I mean non comemrcial).. once a pair is established..