PDA

View Full Version : BREEDING DISCUS

fishhouse
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi Guys

Is there anything i can add to my fish tank water or ageing water to trigger off my discus to pair up and spawn spawn?

my ph is 6.6 - 7
temp 30
40%-50% water change every 2nd day

Thanks

JoeDiscus85
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 11:47 AM
I read a little bit in jacks book about temperature change, I forgot if it supposed to be up or down though....

Joe

norto
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 08:29 PM
G'Day Fishhouse,
The very first thing you need to be able to spawn the discus is a pair, the unfortunate thing about that is you usually don't know until they have a successful spawn.The other indicators you can look for are cleaning the cone or any other surface that you have in there for them to spawn on,they will start to shake and shimmer at each other when they are looking to spawn as well.There are a few methods you can try to induce spawning like the temp thing you mentioned....when you do a water change with the new water drop the temp a couple of degrees that can work, a good diet is always are good thing and you can add vitamins such as PRO-MORE which can induce spawning but its main function is to help produce more healthier and larger eggs and milt.But the thing is mate different methods work for different people if you have some time read as much in the breeding section of the forum as you can as there are alot better breeders on this site than me. Hope this helps a bit.
Regards,
Norto.

samir
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 06:14 AM
to spawn they need to be in good health and have an abundance of food.

bridlington
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 10:58 AM
could you please tell me where i could buy Pro-More vitamins
regards john

norto
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 11:33 AM
PM sent

Hollowman
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 12:54 PM
The simplest way I found was to lower the temperature for a week or so, just dowm 2 degrees. It triggers a rainy season reaction, which might do it for you, you could also lower the conductivity of your water, 60 -10 uS works well, and big water changes. Make sure you add a cone or something for them to lay on.

hth

Hollowman