PDA

View Full Version : Help on how to re silcon your tank

axl
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi,
i have a 5ft planteddiscus tank that is leaking and i have tried once to seal up the leak and that didnt work. I found the leak and removed the silcon and then applied new silcon. Anyone got any suggestions or tips on how to apply silcon propley so the tank dosent leak. The leak looks very small, how have people dont in the past. Cheers Axl

Ness
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 11:15 PM
make sure the tank is dry and use acetic silicone. if you have huge dramas. just build a new one....easier.

axl
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 11:25 PM
Building a new 1 is problaly not a option as this tank cost me $370 to buy and its not that old. I mades sure everything was dry and the silcon i used was safe for aquarium use.

revkev
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 01:13 AM
If the first attempt didn,t work it may be best to remove the glass that is leaking clean off ( all ) the silicone on seams and re silicone again make sure there is no bubbles or gaps when you attatch it to the tank.
If there is bubbles apply more silicone and use your fingers to work the silicon between the joins to remove the bubbles or gaps.
It worked for me,test the tank after 2-3 days.

sharkies
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 08:36 AM
Gday,

where ever the leak is I would remove all silicone from that section and then give the area a real good clean using metho, give it plenty of time to dry and the apply your silicone and gently drag your finger along the fresh silicone so as to work it into all spaces, give the tank at least a day to cure,

jesx57
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 08:45 AM
Using detergent on your finger will help smooth the silicone out and stop it sticking to your finger. Just remember to rinse it off once the silicone has dried.