PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to keep discus

jesx57
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 08:08 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been keeping fish for close to 5 years now, and I'm thinking of giving discus a go. I've recently upgraded to a 45 gallon high (91x51x38) and want to keep discus. I currently have a bristlenose catfish, 2 rams, 2 glowlights, a black neon and a rummy nose tetra. I have been doing relentless research on these fish, and all the opinions are confusing. I was aiming to get three juvenille discus (bout 4cm) to raise. I've heard they need about 10 gallons of water each, so this tank would be big enough? I was thinking of getting another bristlenose cat, 2 more rummys and neons, and a glowlight for equal numbers. My tank (should) then be at it's full capacity. I am prepared to do more than one water change a week (preferably two) and provide a wide range of frozen and live foods. Can I please have some opinions on this and experiences with this number of discus? I know it is recommended to keep at least four, but I don't have the space to do this (but I'd still like to try my hand at these fish).

(Wow, that's a wall of text!).

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'd go 4 juvis between 2&1/2-3inches in size, they'll be fine with 2x water changes of around 30-50% weekly.

those will be fine with your desired fishload.

as for diet, base it mainly on a frozen beefkeart or seafood mix with a good quality flake or granual to balance it up and use live brine shrimp or freeze dried worms as a treat (say 2-4x a week)

jesx57
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks a heap! :D I have plenty of time to do water changes, so that's not a worry. ow long will I be able to keep the discus in the tank before they outgrow it? It's 50cm high. BTW, I have a 800L/hr canister filter if this helps.

ILLUSN
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 02:14 PM
they'll be good till they hit around 5-6 inches but as they grow bigger you'll have to step up the WC's once they hit 4 inch in size you'll need to change 50% every 2 days and any biggr it will be DAILY changes.

jesx57
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 10:06 PM
If they get any bigger than 6 in, I'll trade them for some more young un's at the LFS. It would be better if someone else with a bigger tank could provide their needs at that size. Looks like I'm going to have to get myself a python, I've been changing water with buckets! BTW, I plan on getting them from discus world - haven't been there before, seen their website, fish look good. How long will it take them to grow to full size?

Hollowman
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hi Jes,

Discus are better in larger groups, being Cichlids they tend to have a pecking order, and if you only buy 3, then you will find that one will always get the raw deal at feeding times and generally harrassed, and will not grow like it should.
You could happily keep 4-5 at the size Illusn has stated until they grow out, then you might want to think about either expanding or breeding (possibly).
Remember that growing out to a 6" fish will take well over a year, so when you say that you will just trade them in, I think you will find this hard to do. Once at this size, the time and effort that you have invested in them will far out weigh the feeling that you will want to sell them. Also at this age, they might have paired up and then you can have a go at raising your own fry. It's so much more exciting this way.
The trick to growing out fish is lots of clean water, good food and stability.

Hollowman

jesx57
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 05:57 AM
Yes, thinking back, I think I will be quite attached to them and won't want to give them up! Is it possible for them to permanently live in my 45 gal? I'm already thinking of how to aqua scape to give them freedom to move. Thanks Hollowman!

Hollowman
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 07:05 AM
You might find that out of a group that some grow better than others, this gives you the option to move on the ones you dont prefer and keep the best ones. As a general rule, we say 10 gallons per adult fish, so you have room for 4-5 adults in there with no problem, although I would recommend regular, big water changes.

hth

Hollowman

jesx57
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 07:19 AM
Thankyou again Hollowman! It's a good thing that I can keep them in there, because the tank I have now is the biggest I can fit in my room and my floor can safely hold! Water changes=No probs.

Hollowman
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 07:30 AM
Thats good. Keep us informed on how it goes.

Hollowman :)

jesx57
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 07:37 AM
I sure will, if I have any problems, this will be the first place I'll visit!