PDA

View Full Version : pop eye discus

MFG
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi,

i have a discus in a quarantinee tank now due to having pop eyes. what medication can be used to cure pop eye?

cheers
Scott

Matt15
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 12:45 AM
I think pop eye is caused from poor water conditions and can be treated simular to hex.
I'm not 100% sure so wait for somebody like Illusn, Merrilyn or somebody who knows there stuff to confirm this but Metrogyl aka Flagyl aka Metronidazole would be your best treatment.

These tablets are prescription ONLY so your going to have to visit your vet. Some vets will prescribe them fish unseen (usually just a photo is required).

Dosage rates are dependant on how strong the tablets are. That information can be found here:
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2475

Just be sure to turn off any UV and tank lights and run a sponge filter.

MFG
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 05:23 AM
yes,, i had a filter problem the other day. when i found out about it, i realise that my water quality had fallen quite badly.

i have done a 100% water change as well.

cheers
Scott

dandaman352
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 06:11 AM
Keep up the water changes, if its from the quality a week straight of water changes and it'll cure itself.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 06:30 AM
Matt15 is correct, popeye is a bacterial infection, its actually similar to dropsy and is casued by bad water quality.
Metro will help in the early stages, but in the later stages the only effective treatment is removal of the eye or euthanasia.

jeff8428
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:43 PM
I recently bought 5 more discus, one seems to have pop eye. it has been in with the other fish for years and none of the others seem to show it. is this contageous to the other fish. All (even the one with pop eye seem healthy and eat wel they are all about 8-9 inches in size and very "wide" seem exremely healthy. I have quaranted all 5 together and have not added them to any of my other tanks. Just wondering if this is something that is still contageous. Or do you think it may have had it earlier and has now got over it. Appreciate any help

jeff8428
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 12:00 AM
Also meant to ask if you think I should try to treat for it, and what with

MFG
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 03:41 AM
Hi,

mine- somehow recovered and now it's in the main tank.

this is how i treated mine.

add methylene blue and turn up the heat + a airstone.

somehow this may work at an early stage detection of pop eye

regards
MFG

Hollowman
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:02 AM
If you use MB, just be aware that it can knock out your filter if you are not careful. :shock:

Hollowman

jeff8428
Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:01 PM
Is it contageous, also mine only seems to have it in one eye. Is this typical. It almost looks like it has a caterac in one eye. It is swollen and sticking out. It is also white in the middle. Should I seperate it from the other fish. I only have a large male with it.This one is a female

Hollowman
Wed Jun 04, 2008, 08:01 AM
I very good med for popeye is Interpet No9. Better to treat in a hospital tank if you can, and make sure you give a full treatment.

Hollowman

tomahawk
Wed Jun 04, 2008, 11:45 AM
Tetracycline Tablets and Trisulpha Tablets are very good treatment for popeye