PDA

View Full Version : pH shot way down!?

Jonnywhoop
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 11:02 PM
my pH was at a steady 6.5 area. but now it shot down to a 4!!! i had two peices of drift wood, about a foot in total. and some plastic plants and rocks. i have gravel at the moment, but i was going to switch to sand. i heard that coral sand brings up your pH significantly. i took out everything in the tank, so its bare gravel, and did a 30% water change 5 minutes ago. its been going down since sunday; and ive been doing 30% water changes for the past few days.

why is my pH going down all of a sudden?
what are ways to bring up my pH? i still want to keep my driftwood etc etc.

thanks

Jonnywhoop
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 05:04 AM
i pulled out everything so its just gravel, waterchanged, and added crushed coral in the filter in a mesh bag. the pH is at 6.3 as of now. but the change in pH is tripping out my fish.

my orange discus's eye is popping out ish.

everything else, 3 other discus, angel, and gourami, seem to be fine but are just on the floor trying to stay up.

=/ what a bad day...

MFG
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 05:26 AM
i have the pop eye problem as well. u can read the thread that i posted in illness forum.
i am still waiting for some experts advise on pop eyes.

cheers
Scott

AHC
Mon May 05, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hi mate, sorry to hear about the problem.

Just a note from me - check your filter. It could need a clean? Build up of food, debris etc will cause you ph to drop. That along with a low KH makes for an unstable PH. Youve done the right thing with adding crushed coral.

Cant help with pop eye. Have never had that problem nor have i researched that area yet. Might go do that now if i get time.