PDA

View Full Version : Discus tank size?

Kokoro
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'm looking at setting up a small discus tank. While I've been keeping fish for over 10 years, i've yet to try discus, so any advice would be appreciated.

My plan is to buy a few juvenile fish (maybe 4?) in the hope that i'll get at least one pair, and then sell the others. I believe that a 2.5' x 15" (W) x 20" (H) tank would be sufficient for one pair, and probably for 4 young juvies, but is it likely to become too small before the fish pair up? (Not sure what size they mature...)

Mated pairs are way out of my budget, but i don't want to buy a larger tank when i'll eventually only be keeping one pair.

FishDude461
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:43 AM
Sounds Like a 29 gallon tank or so, that is a good size to raise a group of 4 discus. A group of 2in would be real happy in there. Lots of water changes isnt too bad when your using a tank that size. Its a good size tank to grow them out, hopefully form a young pair, and try to prove it :)

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 24, 2008, 12:24 AM
they pair at aroound 4.5-6inch in size, so 4 fish that size would like a 200L, but with good maintanice your 120L woulddo, as they get bigger you'll have to move to daily changes, with good filtration and I'd suggest you keep it bare bottom to remove all the uneaten food bout 1/2 hour after each feed.

Kokoro
Thu Apr 24, 2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the replies

I had a feeling this one might be a bit small. I might do some reorganising and see if i can free up a larger tank somehow. Since i'm new to discus, i'm sure there's a lot of things that could go wrong, so it's probably best if i don't take any risks