PDA

View Full Version : Zeolite what does it do???

axl
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 03:05 AM
Hi,
just got a quick question, i want to no what is zeolite used for and can it be used in a tank. Cheers Axl

dandaman352
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 04:56 AM
Removes Ammonia.

XPLOSV
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:13 AM
Yes it can be use as Substrates too.

dandaman352
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:17 AM
To elaborate you usually put it in your filter if you have a cannister filter. Its pretty useful.

axl
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:33 AM
I can acces to it as i sell it at work. I didnt no if it would be useful or not.

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:44 AM
zeolite is a clay based substance, it has a very high affinity for cations and ammonia, used in a filter it will remove ammonia and ammonium from the water, used in the tank it will work the same way. if used in a tank DO NOT EVER USE SALT! this will cause the bound ammonia to be released back into the water (Na+ replaces the bound compounds)

axl
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 06:23 AM
Could i mix this with gravel and use it as a base layer, would the plants benefit from this. Dont no if i should use it or not??

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 22, 2008, 06:45 AM
i wouldn't, again it will lock ammonia, once saturated it will begin releasing it again, at the roots it wont be too much of a problem, but if ever you have to add salt to your tank you'll have all kinds of issues.

use it in the filter if you like it works GREAT, also if you throw it onto the veggie patch once exausted you'll see great growth in your tomatoes.