PDA

View Full Version : current

tanzy
Fri Apr 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
My new Eheim classic 2217 arrived yesterday from ASA. I was so excited, it was a bit like christmas. Anyway my partner got it all up and running for me and its working perfectly. We were amazed how quiet it is.

My question is how do I settle the current down. I have both spray bars facing the back of the tank (against the glass), but the current is still very strong. The fish dont seem to care to much but they really have to work alot harder than before. Will they get use to the current or can I change this?

Also how long should it be before I can use my sterilizer?

Cheers

Kell

ILLUSN
Sun Apr 20, 2008, 02:49 AM
dont play with the dcurrent too much, you can use the double taps to adjust the flow slightly on the INTAKE side, but they work best at full stick, I'd give it a good month before turning on your uv, did you use aged filter media from another filter, or just the stuff in the box, if you used all new media watch out for ammonia and nitrate spikes.

tanzy
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 02:40 AM
I only used the media that came with the filter. I still have my Aquaone CF1000 running also. Does this mean I will still possibly get an ammonia spike?

Thanks

Kell

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 03:55 AM
No, if your old filter is still running you'll be fine, just run the 2 together for a good month or 2 beforeyou shut the old one down.

JoeDiscus85
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:47 AM
About your current, Ive read alot of statements saying discus like slow moving water.. This may be true in nature and true in most cases, But not in mine. I have one 600gph powerhead and an 800 gph powerhead, I use both of these for my diy carbon dioxide, My discus seem to love the current, They all line up in the pecking order and swim into the current for hours .

Joe

Hollowman
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 10:51 AM
Try turning it off and see how much happier they become, it is not natural for them to swim in a current.
How would you like to run all day at work, then get home and have to run on a treadmill, it would wear you out eventually, these fish are not made for it, really.
In the wild they live in still or very slow moving waters, where they are bred, they are in mostly still water. Ok, you have to have some movement as your water goes around your pumps, but it should be deflected so they are NOT in a current.

Hollowman

JoeDiscus85
Mon Apr 21, 2008, 09:37 PM
They arent constantly in it,There are alot of dead spots(non moving) all over the tank, Its heavily planted so the current gets broken up. As stated previously i only use the powerheads for my carbon dioxide not to create current of any type.

Joe

Hollowman
Wed Apr 23, 2008, 09:58 AM
Ok, just try to turn the power heads down a little and you'll see a difference.

Hollowman

tanzy
Thu Apr 24, 2008, 05:24 AM
My fish are use to the new current in the tank. They seem to have found places that are free from the extra current, which is great.

Would their be too much filtration if I left both the filters running permanently or should I eventually get rid of my aquaone cf1000. I really wished to over filtrate the tank as I now have six Discus.

Cheers

Kell

Hollowman
Thu Apr 24, 2008, 08:20 AM
Ok, Tanzy.

The reason that your fish are finding quiet areas in your tank where there is no 'current' is because they dont like to swim uphill all the time, they 'do' prefer slow moving water, FACT.

As for over filtration, yes, a good idea, I ran a CF1200 and a Eheim 2217 in my 90gallon tank, as well as a few sponges, but please try to dull the current. I use long spray bars directed towards the surface or towards the glass.

Hollowman

tanzy
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 01:01 AM
I have placed both spray bars against the back of the tank and both of them are very long. The fish are actually using more of the tank than they did before so this seems to be a good sign of happiness, but they do also seem to be hungrier, they are continuously begging for food. Im not sure if this has anything to do with the extra current or if it is just a coincidence.

Cheers

Kell

Dee
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 03:09 AM
Would their be too much filtration if I left both the filters running permanently

No such thing as over filtration, both mechanical and biological ... leave both running and just be sure to keep them clean monthly.

Sounds like your fish are happy as larry, so unless they show you otherwise I'd leave the setup as is. Any fish that begs for food is generally happy and healthy :wink: Which yours sound like they are.

Cheers,

Dee.

Hollowman
Mon Apr 28, 2008, 01:31 PM
The fish are actually using more of the tank than they did before so this seems to be a good sign of happiness,

Kell

Is this since you changed the direction of flow in the tank?

I would add, that there is not really any need to clean your filters as often as each month. As long as you use a sponge over the intake (in effect a pre-filter) for the cannister , this will keep the cannister free of general sucked in crap and food. I have not cleaned mine for 6 months+ The flow rate is still very good, not noticeable down, so why wash out all the good stuff. jmo

Hollowman

tanzy
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 03:30 AM
Oh yes, I fully agree Hollowman, I do not clean my filter that often, the filter wool over the intake is a fantastic idea, im going to give that a try.

The spray bars turned to the back of the tank have made a big improvement to the current.

Cheers

Kell

Hollowman
Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:16 PM
Great! :)

Not sure about filter wool over the intake, but a sponge would do better, the wool might clog up a bit too quickly. :wink:

Glad it's working out ok

Hollowman