PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Vac Cleaning..

Tracey73
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 06:15 AM
Just wondering if everyone here with substrate cleans their tank using a gravel vac? Any suggestions for a extra long gravel vac? at the moment using the bucket system but once I get my 450 litre I would like to be able to gravel vac from the tank straight into the kitchen sink or garden!

Mr Discus
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 06:47 AM
I just gravel vac into a bucket. I have always done it this way for over 10 years now so I'm used to it!

rwel4809
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 06:51 AM
I gravel vac into a bucket after feeding beefheart and then have another tube long tube to siphon off water for WCs...

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 07:25 AM
go to clark rubber, get yourself a length of 20mm (better flow rate) hose, as long as you need, go to bunnings, in the irrigation section get yourself a 20mm-13mm reducer (and a couple of hose clamps), then you can just extend your usuall gravel vac to what ever length you need.

been using mine for a couple of years now, best money i've ever spent, i can change 500L a night in under 30min

boydie
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 08:26 AM
illusn youve got all the answers

Tracey73
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:04 AM
illusn youve got all the answers

Agree! Thanks Illusn :wink:

taksan
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:42 AM
Yep I 2nd Jothy's description although with all my big tanks I've gone to 32mm hose. I change over 2000L in a couple of hours using that method.

Matt15
Wed Apr 16, 2008, 07:20 AM
Buckets are way too small for large tanks. I use a standard garden hose attached to the gravel vac which goes downstairs and into the garden or into a bin. The water in the bin is used to feed my bromeliads which they absolultely LOVE.

It's off topic but thought i'd post a pic of some which I purchased a few weeks ago. If your a keen gardener then a hose is certainly worth your while....... :wink: