PDA

View Full Version : colour inversion?

TimboS
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 03:54 AM
Hi All,

I have a female cobalt blue (or blue turq - not sure) that has the regular black stress bars that show up when she is not happy, but the odd thing is that sometimes she will colour invert, i.e. the body will go toward black and the bars will go really light - almost white.

This started occuring when she first spawned but it only happens from time to time now and I am curious as to what might cause it. None of my other three discus do this.

Thoughts?

Timbo

Matt15
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:07 AM
I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about Timbo. Discus when breeding become darker which will help the fry when they hatch and become free swimming to latch on to there parents. The fry are attracted to the darker colours, so normally the stress bars act as a sort of homing beacon. Also the mucus buildup might also show the discus body colours to appear alittle more darker than usual.

TimboS
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:32 AM
Thanks Matt.

The colour change is pretty quick however. She can go from normal to the dark body and light white striping, and back, in the space of a minute. In other words it's not a long lasting affair.

Must be something to do with emotion, but what sort I wonder? Good or bad?

Matt15
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:50 AM
Mate i've also noticed my discus changing colour when they are beside the large piece of driftwood in the tank. Sort of a defence thing i guess, to help blend into there environment.

TimboS
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:59 AM
That would make sense actually.

I guess the reason why the others do not do it is because of the lack the physiological ability, or something along those lines.

I also guess when she does it she does not want to be seen.. Sneaky fish !