PDA

View Full Version : starting a new 40gal tank

easty1
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:55 PM
Well the tank is in place the gravel(I'm useing fine gravel mainly because thats what I'm comfortable useing ) has been washed and layered in the bottom of the tank ,depth rangeing from 3in in the front to 4to5in in the back and far corner The tank has finally cleared and is looking good to plant allthough it will have to wait for a couple of weeks as we are on holiday

easty1
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:59 PM
This is what I aspire to but know I havent the skill to achieve

Mr Discus
Sat Apr 12, 2008, 12:48 AM
Looks like a good start easty!

Mate, you would be surprised what you can achieve if you are using the right plants, and a good amount of time!

If you are going on holidays you should do something to start the biological process happening in your tank, that way when you return it will hopefully almost be cycled to the point where you can add catfishes etc, as well as your plants. Then you are already one step ahead and that little bit closer to getting discus in there.

Good luck with it in the future - and keep us updated with pics!

Matt15
Sat Apr 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
It's all starting to take shape which is good Mick. Mr.Discus is right, I would get your plants and some catfish in before you go away. Clayfield aquarium always has new plant stock arriving weekly and always have a good range to choose from if your near that area.

easty1
Sat Apr 12, 2008, 05:23 AM
What would be the best way to start the biological process in the tank bearing in mind that the tank would only have normal room daylight for a week as the house will be empty
thank in advace for any sugestions

Mr Discus
Sat Apr 12, 2008, 08:23 AM
Different methods work for different people, but I guess we need to take into consideration that you will be away from the tank for a week or more.

Normal daylight is fine, the biological process has next to nothing to do with the amount of light on the tank.

I think ILLUSN's method (and one that many other members have used), is to put a raw dead prawn into the tank, and let it stay in there with the filtration running for a week or so. This enables the natural nitrification process to occur in the water. The bio process should then cycle right through nitrification and once this happens, add plants and some hardy catfish and remove the prawn and they will take over from there (which should be when you get back). Plants don't need a cycled tank to survive, you can essentially put them in the day you fill the tank, but I would refrain from this until you get back, as if you don't add liquid trace elements to the tank for the plants, over a week they may wither and start to die off due to lack of iron etc in the water.

Can anyone clarify that my prawn procedure is correct? ILLUSN?!? ;)

easty1
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 09:17 AM
The tank has been cycled and the first planting has been done I'm fairly pleased with the results but I've got some fine tuning to do befor I'm going to be satisfied with the result. The great piece of drift wood came from a highland lake in Tassie so its a great reminder of the holiday weve just had
[/img]

easty1
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 09:29 AM
more photos

Matt15
Fri Apr 25, 2008, 11:27 AM
Your tank is looking great mate, wd. Now time for some Discus... :D

easty1
Sat May 03, 2008, 07:56 AM
Tanks up and running well got my first discus .(two red turks ,a blue turk and a lepard and after a day of sulking they are feeding well on frozen bloodworms a flake and look a treat

jesx57
Sat May 03, 2008, 08:05 AM
Wow easty! Your tank and discus look spectacular! I hope my tank turns out that good! Happy fishkeeping!