PDA

View Full Version : Nitites & nitrates

amazon dee
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hi, New appisto lover needs help.

i have set up a quarentine tank.

The levels have settled to Just a little above 0 in nitrates, nitites and ammonia. One level higher on the guide than O
I am doing 25 - 30% water change every day and it has levelled down to above but will not budge below that.
2 days ago I added a nitrie/nitrate absorber pad thing, I have also added nitaban and stress zyme.

Now I have purchased 4 appistos and worriied if this level will upset them.
Is this ok or what can I do to get it down to 0?
Ph is 6.8 and my large tank never has levels above 0.

worried :? amazon dee

flaggy
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
you could grab a corner filter for a few bucks from the LFS and add some filter material from your main tank's filter and it should start working.

amazon dee
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for help but did that afew days a go.

also took some noodles from my lge tank and added them and then took out the new noodles altogether and added more used noodles

I have also already added an airstone.

Do I still keep up daily water changes or is there anything else I can do?

Puzzled Dee :?:

Bubbles
Sun Apr 13, 2008, 02:23 AM
All sounds ok Dee, slowly introduce them into the water by mixing some of the tank water to the shop water so they can adjust.

Keep an eye on the water properties for the next week or so to make sure they are ok & dont get carried away with the feeding for a few days.

IMO:Weekly water changes (depending on tank size) is ok.

amazon dee
Sun Apr 13, 2008, 04:53 AM
Thanks heaps to Flaggy,
I added another filter to the tank and nitrites down in3 hrs. Nitrates are down this morning to near enough to 0.
Ph steadied too at 6.8
Another small water change today should settle it altogether.

I broke a peice of log from a larger one in my big tank and added that as well. The males were fighting a bit, there wasnt enough hiding spots.

How long should I leave them in the small tank before putting them into the larger tank?
And should I have more smaller caves as the bigger male is quite territorial.
I have a pr of butterflys breeding in one cave. A lone male butterfly in another rock cave and some pots that aggi female likes. The lone butterfly won't let any other fish in his cave. Is this likely to cause a problem for the double reds?

Dee :ug