PDA

View Full Version : Shell grit to raise kh

tanzy
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 05:24 AM
My tank has a very low ph and zero kh, due to our tap water containing zero kh.

I have never had a ph crash but just to be safe I have been adding shell grit in a jar, to the tank. So far I have added 4 teaspoons of shell grit and still have a zero kh reading and the ph hasn't changed either.

Am I just not adding enough shell grit or am I using the wrong thing to establish a buffer? The grit that I am using are the little shells that are used for marine tanks.

I have messed around with kh powder before but I found that it raised the ph too high and my fish didn't like it also it still only gave me a kh reading of one.

Cheers

Kell

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 06:00 AM
The shell grit works better if you put it in your filter, so as all the eank water has to pass through it, disolving it, try that, 1tsp/100L should be plenty.

tanzy
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for that ILLUSN, I will give it a try.

Kind Regards

Kell

axl
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
wheres the best spot to put the shell grit in your filter, on top of the filter wool or just make a space beside the wool. Cheers Axl

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 12:12 PM
i put mine just under the wool, not sure why i do that just habit that fine filtration goes last i guess, it should work anyware, all you need is flowing water to let the CO3 disolve.