PDA

View Full Version : 3 week old fry dying

coco
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:43 AM
hi everyone ,
ok my discus have breed before ,everything goes no probs up untill there about 8 to 10 mm in size some just die like maybe 1 or 4 a day .
its weird you can see them come to the top so i move them to fresh water as quick as i can ,and come good and then die . i do as many water changes a day as needed ,test water all fine .
things done
* changed tanks
* '' sponge filters
* water changes
* more air and less air ( had more die with more air )
ph 6.5 temp 30 to 31 there 3 weeks today .

two day ago i gave them some crushed up beef heart now could it be that ?

maybe there guts on some are to small ? i feed also Cyclop Eeze

cheers margaret

Hollowman
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:59 AM
It is distressing to see this happen, and I have had this a few times in my earlier days.
Most of these deaths are caused by protazoan which attack the fry as they have no immunity, the breathe heavily, go dark and hide in the corners, dont eat etc, and die. Sometimes this is accompanied/interpreted as a fluke infestation as the symptoms are similar.

What has worked for me has been the addition of Acrivflavine dosed at 1 drop per gallon or 1cc per 50 liters. Replace the amount you loose during your daily water change for a week.
Another thing that I think helps, which is what I do each time now, is at 2 weeks free swimming give a full does of a wormer, I use Flubenol 15, although there are other products out there, not only does this treat for worms, but rids the tank of any flukes that might infest the fry.

Some people I know swear by Cuprazin, as you are having the problem now,
" a full dose of cuprazin everyday for up to a week, but try not to exceed the week, as copper can crystalise on the gills of softwater fish."

hth

Hollowman

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 01:06 PM
Coco, are they still with the parents, or are they on their own now? When were they removed from the parents?

Three to four weeks is a critical time for fry. It seems they can fall prey to gill flukes and other bacterial infections, especially if they are on their own.

coco
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:50 PM
thanks for for your reply hollowman

merrilyn they have been on there own for about a week .

i just didnt think about infection because water was so clean

cheers margaret

Hollowman
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:06 PM
Margaret,

If this lot dont make it, you will have some more soon enough. Try to leave them with the parents for as long as possible, 4-6 weeks is possible. The longer they are with the parents the better ime

hth

Hollowman

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 11:20 PM
I'd put money on gill flukes, next time, before you let the parents spawn, give them a pp dip, and you shouldn't have a problem, alos concider adding an internal uv sterilizer once the fry are about 2 weeks old.

coco
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 06:28 AM
after cleaning the tank and fill with clean water i dissolved aqua worm into the tank ( thats all i had at the time ) not one has died since , then i proceeded to worm other fry in other tanks . so see how they go so far so good. thanks to all that replied to this drama i will let you know how they go .

cheers margaret

coco
Sat Apr 12, 2008, 02:29 AM
just update been 3 days no more have died :D :D :D thankyou all i will post up pics soon.

cheers margaret

Merrilyn
Sat Apr 12, 2008, 02:35 AM
That's great news.

Fingers crossed for you. :D

Hollowman
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 07:49 AM
Great :D

coco
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 09:09 AM
just update pics

first lot only three left
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/13bute/IMG_3321.jpg

second lot all doing well .

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l49/13bute/IMG_3360mmmmmmmmmm.jpg

cheers margaret

Hollowman
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
Lovely pics, well done

ozarowana
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:42 PM
Do you feed frozen bloodworms? My fry problems have pretty much disappeared after I stopped using them.

coco
Tue Apr 15, 2008, 07:59 AM
Do you feed frozen bloodworms? My fry problems have pretty much disappeared after I stopped using them.

yes i do but not to the fry

actinicblue
Tue May 06, 2008, 05:51 PM
nice!