PDA

View Full Version : 3 tier racks

AHC
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 05:25 AM
hey does anyone know where i can buy (in sydney) a three teir rack for my tanks. I have tried Display & Rack Systems pty ltd. Im confident in the DIY ones but just dont have the time so would rather buy it in Sydney.

I have one standard 3ft tank and one 3ft x 2ft high and one standard 2ft (which i would like to have on the top). Can i buy these or do i have to make them. Ive seen ads selling breeding set ups but i just want the 1 tier.

Thanks for your help

Noddy65
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 05:36 AM
You could try Bunnings...they have heavy duty shelves that might be suitable for you...

Mike

Th0mas
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:17 AM
Hmm... I was going to recommend that but after thinking about the 3 ft tank there might be too much weight involve for those hammerlock shelf.

nbw
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 10:20 AM
also interested to know where i can acqiure some racks

AHC
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah i think the weight will be too much for that type of shelving. I didnt think it will be as hard to find them. I will try ringing a large chain like strictly aquariums and see if they can make them and how much. Does anybody know what their furniture is like - or even if you have some tanks etc from them, what they are like?

AHC
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 02:39 AM
Strictly Aquariums dont make them..... Hmmmmm????

Th0mas
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 02:49 AM
When you say they do make them - are these metal or wooden rack?

I would have thought those commercial racks would be better quality/value for money.

AHC
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 02:56 AM
they don't make them. To be honest - i tend to go to the individual (non chain) LFS shops as i get better service and want to support them. But nobody i have tried makes the tiers and thought that maybe a big chain might. They pretty much just have the set designs and thats it.

I will keep an eye out for them. Its not needed straight away but will be needed one when i get a bigger tank (if not earlier) so i have some time yet.

Th0mas
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 02:57 AM
Oops- sorry, I've mis-read the post.

Top_Bhoy
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 03:08 AM
Try putting into the search engine 'pallet rack XXXX' where XXXX is the city/location where toy live. Also do a search for the word Dexion.

You'll find I'm sure racking which is more than suitable - though it may not be the prettiest and you can always put on a facade yourself.

Try asking various LFS where they got theirs from - they at least put you onto the builder if they happen to be custom made. All LFS use them so it shouldn't be difficult to locate a source. Cost is another matter of course !!!

AHC
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 04:16 AM
Great thanks mate. I Will do that. Looks doesnt matter as in my unit court yard i have a storage room built into the wall that is perfect for a few tanks to stand on top of each other. Will insulate the walls for heating during winter.

boydie
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 09:33 AM
ebay go to shelving and theres one that can hold 2000 kg decent price. 3 tier.
have fun.
boydie

AHC
Thu Apr 10, 2008, 11:42 PM
Brilliant! Thanks mate. Also found a few places on the net that does pallet racks etc. Looks as though ebay shelving and pallet rack companies are the way to go.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Bubbles
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 03:44 AM
Hey Aaron81,

How did you go with the racks - have you purschased any yet?

We had our shelving custom made, we had to cause we only had room within the lounge/dinning area, could'nt have just gone for the steel rack look, we had ours made from hard wood & reinforced with biscuits cause of the weight & waterproof by way of Laminate in a dark blue - cause I'm such a blue person & all our furniture is "blue" it cost us a pretty penny but it was for show as well as tell.

Good luck with your shelving experience & post us a pic when you have finished.

AHC
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 04:06 AM
Wow bubbles, that looks really nice :wave2.

I have checked out a few places online and emailed a few businesses - just waiting for them to get back to me.. There are also some shelving on ebay. I have found a few basic designs which will hold. they are ugly but the tanks will be hidden so it doesnt matter. Before i buy im going to measure the cupboard outside again. Im in no real rush as my money at the moment is saving for a display setup that will replace these tanks. Im just happy that we have found plenty of places that sell racks etc. i had limited my self to LFS etc thinking it had to be a fish tank made rack.

Top_Bhoy
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
Just remember to give yourself some 'spare weight' capacity on the shelves as a tank will be a permanent static weight. I'd be going for as much 'spare' as is realistic and affordable as possible. A flexing shelf would concern me :D

AHC
Sun Apr 13, 2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah your right. I was going to give myself lots of strength to play with. Went to bunnings on the weekend (i love that place) looked at some of their shelving. I think i will stick to ebay or pallet racks as their load was maxed at 350kg for t eones i saw.

I think i could even make my own with besser blocks as the depth i have to play with is about 50cm. But if i make them with blocks and wood then i might as well put the time into making a rack from scratch.

marshes
Thu Apr 24, 2008, 03:58 AM
Hi Mate,

I have 3 tiered racking if you are interested.
They were custom built and would be suitable to hold 4x2x2's.

If you are interested i will get some pics and post them up.

Cheers,
Will.

AHC
Thu Apr 24, 2008, 04:08 AM
Very much appreciated for the thought mate. I have about 50 - 60 cms in depth to play with so it may be too wide. Hard to explain but the section in the wall is about 7ft long and 7ft high. and for the longest part its only about 50-55cm in depth. Then where it opens to the double door, its about 60cms in depth but im not 100% on how long it is there. I will check over the weekend and post back on Monday (if not over the weekend).

If not me then im sure somebody else here will buy it. There are a few people looking out for racks.