PDA

View Full Version : Filter and sterilizer

tanzy
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 04:08 AM
I am wishing to add a Eheim classic 2217 filter from ASA. This will partner my aquaone CF 1000 that has always run in my tank. My tank is only 200l but I am wanting to over filter, rather than under filter and maybe one day get a larger tank.

I was wondering what sterilizer is best for a Eheim classic, but relatively cheap as I know that they can be very expensive. Also what size watts do I need for a 200l tank.

I was also wondering what the Eheim professional filters are like, are they better than the classics and what is the major difference between them.

Cheers

Kell

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 06:49 AM
I prefer the classic tothe pro's , cheeper to buy, easier to replace parts (less of them), both do a fantastic job.
us for a sterilizer, an 18w works well, i run 24 and 36watters on my 2217's.

pondmaster is the best brand for value for money, i've got a few jebo's (cheep chinease brand) and the hosetails tend to age too quickly and become brittle. also the pondmasters use a jap bulb and a better quality quartz sleave.

taksan
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:04 AM
I agree ...200 liters + 2217 = 36w pondmaster

Hollowman
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 10:12 AM
Ok, being dumb, what are you calling a 'sterilizer'? Do you mean a UV?

Hollowman

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 11:54 AM
Hi Hollowman. Yes, we mean UV. They're often marketed as UV Sterilizer in Aus, although they don't really "sterilize" anything but simply cut down the pathogens and algae spores in the water.

I'm a big fan. Got them on all my tanks, including the heated pond.

Do you run UVs on your tanks?

Hollowman
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Merrilyn, yes we use the UV's here in the UK, I personaly dont, but I know several people who do, and swear by them for lowering the pathogen count.

Hollowman