PDA

View Full Version : Will discus work for me?

coogs
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:47 PM
I was recently given a 45g tall tank from a friend that was getting out of the hobby (free, yes!) and I really like the prospect of having discus'. But I'm slightly confused.

Can I keep discus in a tank this size, and if so, how many? As with all things on the Internet, I've come across some (a lot of) conflicting information, and I want to make sure I do right by the fish.

As someone who has kept Oscars for years, and also has a SW tank, I understand the importance of appropriate tank size for species.

Hollowman
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 05:16 PM
Hi,

That sounds like a great sized tank for discus. The general rule of thumb is 10 gallons per adult discus. If you were to get a group of 6-8 juves, with ample filtration I dont see a problem.

Make sure that you cycle your tank properly before adding fish though. Most people are so impatient to get fish in their tank, it normally kills them and they give the discus a bad name for being hard to keep.

I suggest a fishless cycle, using pure ammonia to get things going.

good luck

Hollowman

coogs
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 06:02 PM
I've actually never used anything but a fishless cycle, so it's good to see that ideology is shared here.

What is considered "good" filtration for these guys? I'd imagine that the good filtration for my oscars would be overkill for discus.

Hollowman
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 07:34 PM
I am glad we think the same. :D I use 2 external cannisters on my 60gal tank, One is a Eheim 2217, the other an AquaOne CF 1200

hth

dandaman352
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 09:21 PM
Could always add some stress zyme also to boost your colony for when your about to add fish also.

coogs
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 02:39 PM
Assumig proper husbandry, I could safely - and for an extended period of time - keep that many discus in a 45tall? That's fantastic if true, but it just seems like a lot.

Hollowman
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 05:29 PM
A properly cycled and filtered tank can assume more than the average number of fish. Although, I would always air on the side of caution.

When I said 6 to 8 juves, I am talking 2.5 to 3" fish to grow out. Once they start to grow, and out of that many no all will grow at the same rate, you might be left with 4 to 6 fish as adults which are worth keeping.

hth

Hollowman

coogs
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yup, definitely helps. If I can keep at least 4 adults in that tank, then my mind is made up.