PDA

View Full Version : How many times should i do salt treatment?

Jules
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hi Everyone Christmas Island back again. My fish have been home for 3 weeks now and they seem to be doing quite well apart from one commiting suicide on the filter pipe i have remedied this so it won't happen again. Thanks to the efficient service of the german i also have a heater and test kits so i can give some parameters:
pH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 15
Nitrites ? (kit damaged can't test)
temp 30.4

After doing some research on this forum i decided to do a salt treatment at 1 tsp per 40ltr. My fish seemed to be shaking and rubbing against stuff in the tank. This seems to have stopped after 3 salt treatments, however some of them seem to have ragged bits on the clear bits of their fins like someone has come along with a little pair of scissors and snipped a bit out. i read also that the salt treatment may fix this is this right and if so how many times should i do the salt treatment b4 i see improvement :?: Should i do a w/c between treatments :?: Also if i do have to treat with a med which one works best :?: and does this mean i then need some sort of carbon filter to remove from water after treatment which i do not have.
Also my smallest one does not seem to be growing it will only eat the bloodworms won't touch beefheart or dry food but all the others will i am worried about it getting stunted i will order some of the garlic stuff but again we are having many mail problems at the moment other stuff i have ordered over 6 weeks ago has still not arrived which is just one of things we have to put up with when living on a beautiful tropical island in the middle of no where. are there any homemade recipies with the garlic that might help :?: Thanks everyone

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:37 AM
the salt will keep bacteria at bay and give the fins a chance to regrow, just dilute out the salt with your regular changes.

your smallest one isn't growing because all it eatsis bloodworms, you'll have to get it onto other foods, if you can get it to eat beefheart mix it'll start growing real quick.

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:02 PM
Have you got any fresh garlic growing at home Jules?

A small amount in with the beefheart mix makes it yummy.

Jules
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:39 PM
the salt will keep bacteria at bay and give the fins a chance to regrow, just dilute out the salt with your regular changes.
Yes ILLUSN i thought that but what i am asking is how many times should i do this :?: i have done it over the last 3 w/c should i continue for a week, 2 weeks..... :?:
your smallest one isn't growing because all it eatsis bloodworms, you'll have to get it onto other foods, if you can get it to eat beefheart mix it'll start growing real quick.
Yes but how do i do this for 1 fish in a tank of 11 when all the others do eat the variety :?: This one goes and checks it out soon as it sees it not bloodworm just swims off and hangs around on its own for a while. The colour is good and seems healthy.

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:49 PM
Try going two or three days without feeding bloodworms.

Hunger is a great motivator, and a three days won't hurt the little guy. I think you'll find he'll eventually eat the beefheart.

Once he accepts that food, you can try introducing other foods, dry food for example, then later on, reintroduce bloodworms.

Jules
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Merrilyn will do and will do the garlic thing also do i continue the salt with w/c until all the signs of the fin snipits are gone or is there a limit on how many times you should do this? have done it last three water changes.