PDA

View Full Version : Heckels

TW
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 10:42 AM
Here are some pictures of my 3 new Heckels from Xtreme. Initially I bought 2 arond 29 March & picked up another today.

After 24 Hourshttp://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/165L/000_1946.jpg

One Week Later

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/165L/000_2013.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/165L/000_2017.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/165L/000_2018_Heckels.jpg

samir
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 11:50 PM
are they eating well ?

TW
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:16 AM
They are eating home made beef heart & frozen blood worms & brine shrimp, but not dry foods. I've put another smaller discus I had in there, who loves dry food, so that he could "teach" them it is food. He seems to have forgotten it's food since his move, but hopefully they will catch on soon.

Do yours accept dry food yet?

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:26 AM
Hi TW, mine are pickingat color bits soaked in fishtamins or garlic guard, generally they prefer to eat brineshrimp, beefheart mix and glolight tetras.

TW
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 03:39 AM
I will try soaking in garlic guard then.
glolight tetrasOh no, do you mean they are already snacking on their little fishy tank mates, or is that a type of food I haven't heard of. I will have cardinal tetras in the main tank with them (when they eventually move to main tank) so I hope they don't eat them. Everyone else ignores the cardinals (even the wild RB)

ILLUSN
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 08:01 AM
LOL, I bought the smallest glowlights i could find to give the wilds "something to do", my school of 40 has dwindled down to 22 LOL, oh well at least they are well fed.

samir
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:08 AM
they hunt small fish at night, by day they pretend they weren't involved.

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:57 AM
Ohhhhh they're just gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done TW. Love the high fins and round shape.

TW
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:26 PM
smallest glowlights :cry: poor liitle glowlights. RIP :cry:
they hunt small fish at night, by day they pretend they weren't involved LOL, tricky, sneaky little Heckels :roll:

They ate Mals dried blackworms today, as well as more beef heart. They surprised me at how quickly they have settled in (after initial scare 24 hrs in when they were laying on their side on tank bottom) & how quickly they took to the beef heart. I like them even more than I thought I ever would. They dart & hide when I get close to the tank, but I hope they get more used to me soon.

Merrilyn thanks for the nice comment. Wish I had more tank space - if I did I'd grab the last 2 that Xtreme still have, but I want to save room in case they ever get some Wild Greens.

actinicblue
Wed May 07, 2008, 11:44 AM
they hunt small fish at night, by day they pretend they weren't involved.

hahaha! thats funny!! :lol:
i know mines are like that too, acting all innocent, even blaming it on the shimps :o

taksan
Wed May 07, 2008, 12:57 PM
Hey TW put the cardinals in ....lovely little snacks.
One thing we have realized is if you want to keep wild discus you can't keep lil tetras too...coz well ..they eat em !

Merrilyn
Thu May 08, 2008, 09:06 AM
Two hundred small neons vanished in under a week. Not a good idea. :(

The group of rummy nose tetras have managed to survive well. The wilds don't seem to view them as food.

TW
Sat May 10, 2008, 06:24 AM
Two hundred small neons vanished in under a week. :shock:

Are they safe at any size, eg fully grown cardinals. Or should I give up that idea altogether & go for rummy nose tetras instead?

the_oracle
Sat May 10, 2008, 07:44 AM
I love Altums.........

Sanie.

goldenpigeon
Sat May 10, 2008, 08:02 AM
like most fish they will eat whatever fits in their mouth.

but you should be fine with larger tetras or even cardinals. the thing to do is buy a good school of cardinals and put them in a separate bare bottom tank. of a couple of months pump the cardinals full of good food and keep up the water changes. they should grow well and eventually be big enough hat they wont be eaten. cardinals can grow fairly big so discus cant eat them at adult size