PDA

View Full Version : Eheim wet/dry filter

vanessa messig
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hi, I have an Eheim wet/dry filter which works well but when our electricity failed so did the filter... water had slowly been leaking through the filter and a quarter of my 6 foot tank was emptied. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Eheim?

taksan
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:09 AM
Can't imagine how the electrical supply would affect the filter ..if it didn't leak when its on it should not leak when its off.
Pull it apart and put it back together again and check all the seals .....

Greggy
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi Vanessa,

The o-ring seal at the top of the valve control chamber is prone to leaking on the Eheim wet/dry filters when the power goes off, as the filter floods and this seal which is normally under no pressure suddenly become pressurised, and then leaks.

Every company has a 'lemon' product, and for Eheim its their 2227/2229 wet dry filters. Do yourself a favour and get rid of the wet/dry filter and instead get a conventional Eheim canister filter.

Regards,

Greggy

vanessa messig
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 11:47 AM
Hi Greggy,

Thanks so much for your response... that is exactly what happens... it is so annoying, what is a simple procedure turns into a headache, its going out the door.

One other thing that also happens, the air pipe fills up with water and makes a loud noise every time it goes through its cycle, do you think that it may have something to do with the little annoying cap at the back of the motor which is very sensitive and falls either in or out of its position?

You are right about it being a lemon.

Greggy
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:51 PM
The breather tube will fill with water when the filter floods (e.g. when the power is off) but it should empty by itself again assuming the water in it can freely flow back into the filter, so make sure water cannot get trapped in the breather tube or it will gurgle/splutter etc.

Get yourself an Eheim 2217 Classic to replace the wet/dry filter and you'll be very happy. If you need more than a single 2217 get a pair of them. If you need more than a pair of them get an Eheim 2250 Classic. If you need more than that get an Eheim Pro III 2080/2180 or perhaps even the mighty 2260 Classic.

Don't be put off the Eheim brand because of their wet/dry filter, as their other conventional filter models are bullet-proof.

Regards,

Greggy

taksan
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:45 AM
I looked at the manual for the wet dry 2227 ..... and ummmmm I can't figure out how the thing does any mechanical filtration at all anyhow?

Greggy
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 06:50 AM
It doesn't! They are bio-only.

vanessa messig
Fri Apr 11, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hi Greggy,
Thank you so much for all your advice! I have an old 2228 at one end of the tank which has worked well for years, definately 'bullet-proof' I do think Eheim is the best but I must admit after these wet/dry filter incidents and the mess it left behind it put me off and I began to look for other brands. You have convinced me though to go back to Eheim and I will check out the models you suggested.

I am also thinking of installing a UV sterilizer, do you have any thoughts about it?

Thanks Greggy,

Kind Regards,
Vanessa.

Greggy
Sun Apr 13, 2008, 02:15 PM
You are welcome Vanessa!

I don't have a UV system and I'm not sure you need one either. Some people with planted tanks even say thay are detrimental to the nutrients that plants require but I'm yet to believe this as many planted tanks run UV without issues.

Personally I think UV might be helpful if your tank is over-stocked or if you over-feed but I advise you doing both of those things. Cloudy water is a sign something is wrong, and I feel it is better to address the cause and not treat the symptom (with UV).

If I were you I'd get the new filtration system going sans UV for now and just see how it goes.

Greggy

vanessa messig
Mon Apr 14, 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Greggy,

Yes, thats exactly what I did yesterday and bought an Eheim 2028, its magic, so quiet, I love the priming function and the best thing is... I can trust it not to leak.

This morning I had a near disaster when I found out that one of my heaters was not working and the temp went down to 23.5 deg. All the discus' were huddled under the working heater. Lucky I always have a couple of spare heaters and I added some hot water to speed the process.

I think I may eventually get a UV as I am curious to see just how good it is, especially getting rid of the algae, at the moment I have a Pleco and its starting to eat my plants.

Vanessa.