PDA

View Full Version : Ap.sp pebas

Bubbles
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 03:08 AM
Just a few pics of my Ap.sp pebas to share around, sorry about the clarity of the pics. This pair is from our breeding parents (We unfortunately lost the parents) & are sub adult size, they spawned for the first time around 5 days ago but the female ate the eggs as it was her first time & she is only young still. Pic are of the male in his different "mood" colours.

Bubbles
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 03:27 AM
Here are some of the female - again not very good clarity "sorry" she does not like the attention.

gingerbeer01
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 05:05 AM
very nice

TW
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 05:10 AM
Very nice. Congratulations on the successful breed

TW
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 05:12 AM
Very nice. Congratulations on the successful breed

Sometimes this double post thingy just seems to happen :oops:

Could admin pls delete. Thanks heaps

Bubbles
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks TW, very happy to even have a pair of these fish & I hope they will spawn again soon & the female does not eat the eggs so I can increase the numbers.

amazon dee
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 07:05 AM
Hi again Bubbles,
Wish I could see them.
They are beautys.

I have a breeding pr of Butterfys but aim to breed appistogrammas.
You have inspired me to keep trying.

Thanks Dee

Th0mas
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 07:14 AM
Congratulations on the spawn, a job well done.

Your next objective is to improve on your fish photo skills :twisted: (and I've yet to master this properly either).

I've found under dim light, the photos tends to be very grainly - there might be adjustments with the camera (eg iso settings, etc depending on makes and model) which allows you to take a clearer shot under dim light. And what I found to be most useful is a tripod, it is a must as the shutter speed tends to be a bit slow under dim light so a tripod eliminate the problem with unstable hand (like me).

Bubbles
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks all for your positive replies,

Don't give up amazon dee, all hard work & effort will pay off in the long run, we are always on a rollercoaster ride with our apisto's but we will never give up - it's our hobby & our passion of apisto's keeps us through the hard & sad times.

ThOmas, totally agree with my pics, I am certainly no professional photographer. I have a Camcorder which records events & takes still pictures & I even have a tripod but my pictures still turn out like S**T :evil: . I have to spend some time learning/reading about the features as I tend to just use it as & not investigate, most of my pictures are around 220-270KB & by the time I crop the pic to reduce the size it comes out all blury.

Thanks all once again for your positive coments.

Cheers,

Karen aka Bubbles :D

amazon dee
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 02:56 AM
Great help Bubbles,
and thanks to others who have replied to other qu.

For clearer pics,
Place tripod as close as feasable in front of tank. Leave it there for a while so fish get use to it. Still use your zoom but the closest you are able to get the better.
Set camera to take pics as highest kb as possible. The pics will be big when you load on computor but will be best quality.
If you have macro you can have camera within 2 feet of the tank.
After takin pics, crop them, adjust colour or brightness first.
Then resize last, to about 360 at the longest.

This is how I photogragh my artworks so I get clear and precise detail.
Hope it works 4 you.

I have attached a photo (1st & only try) of the cacca I lost last mth although it is not a good pic because it was extremely shy, it is reasonably clear.
The 2nd pic is of one of the "Pearyls" aka Bolivian butterfly.

I will be having a go myself to get pics of all my fish now.

I intend to post some photos of my current fish soon.

amazon dee

Bubbles
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 09:09 AM
Great pics Dee & nice looking fish, shame about the cac though he had nice colouration looks like a tripple red, they are out there though so keep looking & you will find another nice cac. I've included a pic of my male cac - we don't have our cacs anymore.
What pH & water properties are you running in your tanks?
More pics will be good & good luck finding that aggie male for your lonely female :cry:

Cheers,

Karen aka bubbles

Ben
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 10:50 AM
luv the pebas kaz!

amazon dee
Sun Apr 06, 2008, 11:51 AM
Emails might go down soon for 8-12 hrs while hosting changes over but will get any contacts when onboard again. :(

I run my tank usually on PH7 Temp 26 - 28
The butterflys breed constantly and aggy is as you say "very happy" as she is very deep gold.
I have collected several babies of the butterflys this time and put them in a mesh holding net on the side of my tank in hope to save them from being eaten.
Mum and dad are setting up another brood all ready.

Should I lower PH or leave it all as is. :?:
Or would it be neccessary to lower the PH when I get aggy a mate so they will breed.

Dee

Bubbles
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:30 AM
luv the pebas kaz!

Thanks heaps Ben, long time no hear - where have you been? how is the shop going - anymore shipments yet?

Hey Dee, when it comes to apisto's "in my opinion" a pH of 6.5 - 6.8 is optimum & your Microgoephagus (Bolivian Butterfly) will respond good as well with the slight drop in pH, some/most apisto's need a lower pH than 7 - even though your Microgeophagus are spawning readily as well as soft acidic water with little hardness. I run my breeding tanks at 5.5-6.5 pH range (a little extreme - I know) but some respond well in 6.5 pH & others respond better @ 5.5 pH & GH/KH around 17.9ppm once again it is what works for us optimum GH/KH for Cichlids is 50-100ppm, rift lake cichlids/Brackish water fish in general - optimum GH/KH would be around 200-400ppm.
To achieve soft acidic water (the way we do it) - age your water, if using tap water - put the tap water in a large bin/container for at least 24-48hrs with a heater & air pump or power head before adding the water to your tank, you do not need to add anything to your aged water, to reduce your pH - most cost effective way would be to buy some knee high stockings & purchase a bag of "CHEMICAL< PESTICIDE FREE" natural peat moss, you can obtain at your local nursery or hydroponic shop, the way we naturally lower our pH is with Ehiem peat pellets - cost around $25-$27 per 1 litre box in place them in a stocking & plug it to the wall nearest to the flow.

This is only a guide though Dee, it is what works for us. Most websites in reference to Apistogrammas have great info & good advice on keeping & breeding your Apistogrammas & consulting long experienced members on this forum with the likes of ThOmas & Andrew who are gurus on Apistogrammas may help you advance further in maintaining/Keeping & Breeding Apistogrammas.

Cheers,

Karen aka bubbles :D

Robdog
Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:05 PM
The pebas look great and the female looks very protective of that cave enterance.
Did you say that the pair are from the same parents?? Must be from S.A hey! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bubbles
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 12:51 AM
Hey there Robdog,

The sub adults in the photos are from a breeding pair of Ap.sp pebas we had originally from Ravi at Finland Aquarium (The same fish that Mike got from here in Melbourne) but the adult breeding pair we had passed away & this is what we are left with (the legacy) The female in the photo was guarding her pot cause she had eggs in there BUT she eventually ate them as we had power failure here in Melbourne last week & was out for 19 hours, we had the generator up & running but the power had been off 3 hours before I got home from work, the generator is only small & the heaters were only just coming on, the temp change & no power head/bubbles for 3 hours probably spooked her & she ate the eggs. In saying that, she is still fairly young & it was her first spawn.

Thanks for your positive comments. :thumb

Cheers,

Karen aka bubbles :D

Noddy65
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:30 AM
I kept about 20 or so fry from my adults I had in Perth...theyre growing nicely but ALL of them have blue and red on the operculum....I think I have only males :( .

Mike

Th0mas
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 05:31 AM
That's a bugger Mike.

Karen, the pressure is on you now to get some females from your breeders......

Bubbles
Tue Apr 08, 2008, 07:18 AM
That's a bugger Mike.

Karen, the pressure is on you now to get some females from your breeders......Hopefully my pair will spawn again soon & I may have to get the egg tumbler out incase she eats them - I will eventually get there Mike, don't worry I will send you some girls when I have them.

I feel the presure allready ThOmas, as you do to, to supply me with some of your gorgeous Tefe's - hehehe