PDA

View Full Version : Filter wool

zar
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 03:14 AM
Hi all

i was wondering how often, if at all, people replace their wool pads in their filters. I heard some say it needs to be done regularly, some say just rinse it, no need to replace until really torn up.

Do they need regular replacing?
Apart from that, does the wool provide that a sponge pad doesn't, are they reall important in a filter or is having sponges just fine?

cheers

Zagz
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 03:42 AM
I use 100% pure polyester batting made for pillows. I have been using it for 4 years now. It is extremely inexpensive and I cut it to fit. I change mine whenever it gets dirty. It acts similar to carbon, removing smaller particles from the water through the filter. I don't use carbon in my filters at all. What kind of filter?

zar
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 03:55 AM
Does it really matter what type of filter you use?
I'm currently using wool in my canister and one internal corner filter.
I personally don't like it much, just prefer sponges, and am just wondering what the benefit is of using them...

Zagz
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 04:22 AM
No I was just curious as some HOB's don't work well with filter floss. I find that especially with planted tanks they keep the fine particles out of the water very well.

zar
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 04:34 AM
yeah, i found an old post here, looks like they work as a form of chemical filtration, removing small particles.