PDA

View Full Version : New 5ft Planted Tank

Matt15
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 06:25 AM
A couple of weeks ago I upgraded from my 3ft to a brand new 5ft. It's something i've always wanted to do and leaves plenty of room to house more of my beloved friends.

Details:

Colonial timber cabinet + hood (unstained)
Tank: 5 x 2-1/3 x 2 (60x28x24) 10mm thick glass
Filtration: 2x AquaOne CF1200 canister filters
Heating: 1x AquaOne 300w 1x Sera 300w
Lighting: 2x 4ft T5 = 4x54w (1x Sylvania Glow-lux 1x CH Actinic 2x Sunsun 14000k )

Misc plants, timber & rocks.

Fish
8x Discus
3x Corydoras
9x Rummy nose tetras

I've been collecting driftwood for months and found a big nice centre piece. The tank is only at the early stages still so more plants and fish are yet to be added.
Enjoy the pics.....;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1675.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1677.jpg
Early stages when the water was still clearing up. The large piece of driftwood was also leeching alot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1715.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1728.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1730.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1736.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1979.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1975.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1976.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/matt1515/IMG_1981.jpg

scott bowler
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 06:56 AM
looking good matt , keep the pics comeing as it grows , fish are looking good to mate

Matty
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 07:22 AM
Nice tank setting, wood look so natural. :D

TW
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 11:40 AM
That is a very nice looking setup Matt15 - good job. Your discus are very breautiful and really catch your eye. Bet they like the extra swimming space too.

Look forward to more pictures later.

rwel4809
Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:07 PM
Nice set up Matt,

how about a plant list...

what is your fertz C02 program??

Robert

AHC
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 01:33 AM
sweeeeeeeeeet. :P

Matt15
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 06:43 AM
Thx all for your comments. I'll certainly post up more pics in a few weeks for an update.

Nice set up Matt,
how about a plant list...
what is your fertz C02 program??
Robert

Plant list:
Vallisneria Thin
Dwarf Blyxa
Pogostemon Stellata
Bacopa
Aponogeton Crispus
Misc Crispus
Tiger Lotus Red
Java Fern
Deep purple

There's a few names i'm not 100% sure on, but are pretty close.

I don't use CO2 and I haven't used any ferts yet because my filters are packed with carbon to help remove the tannis which is leeching from the wood. Once the tank really clears up i'll use some ferts.
The only helper with the plants atm is the lighting. 1x Glow-lux and 1x CH Actinic tube. All plants are doing well and growing steadily.

rwel4809
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 06:55 AM
glad to hear they're growing!

let me know how you go with the java fern - mine just go black and slowly die with temps > 30c

R

Matt15
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 07:00 AM

let me know how you go with the java fern - mine just go black and slowly die with temps > 30c

R

Funny u say that, i've had the same java fern now for about a year and it never grows but slowing accumulates a black look. The green parts however are still very green and healthy looking.

fish_r
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 07:05 AM
looks very nice Matt and some really nice wood there too http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/thumb.gif

rwel4809
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 07:05 AM

R

Funny u say that, i've had the same java fern now for about a year and it never grows but slowing accumulates a black look. The green parts however are still very green and healthy looking.

They take a long time to die completly - I just threw a bunch away they were looking so droopy it was making me depressed....

Mr Discus
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 10:02 AM
One word - jealousy!

The new size tank looks wicked Matt - we will have to catch up soon, and I will pop over and have a squiz, I've just been so busy with work lately!

The actinic bulb actually won't do anything at all for your plants - it will just make the blues in your discus come out better.

Let me know if you want any fast growing plants for your backdrop - I am forever trimming my hygro's weekly, and I can pass clippings onto you if you like, as I am getting to the point where I am throwing them out!

The setup and aquascaping looks really good mate - I can't wait to see what it looks like with even more discus, and when the plants start to grow out more.

taksan
Fri Apr 04, 2008, 02:13 PM
Looks great ...awfully nice bit of wood in there....

Zagz
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 01:29 AM
Great looking tank! Your discus really pop in there. Their colors are great!

Matt15
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 09:00 AM
The actinic bulb actually won't do anything at all for your plants - it will just make the blues in your discus come out better.

Yeh mate I realise that, however i've always had one in my old tank and for some unknown reason the plants loved it, thou the more important part is making the colours in the fish stand out.

Let me know if you want any fast growing plants for your backdrop - I am forever trimming my hygro's weekly, and I can pass clippings onto you if you like, as I am getting to the point where I am throwing them out!

Thx for the offer Josh, when you come around bring them with you. I'm sure i'll find some room for them somewhere.

Thanks again for positive comments guys.... :D

Matt15
Sat May 10, 2008, 05:57 AM
Here's some updated pictures of my tank. I've since added a 3rd filter, UV and of course more fish, rocks and plants.

Enjoy...;)

Matt15
Sat May 10, 2008, 05:58 AM
and more....

Matt15
Sat May 10, 2008, 06:01 AM
And lucly last... a pic of my panchax :D

TW
Sat May 10, 2008, 06:19 AM
Very nice Matt. Your new background looks great too. Nice smooth job.

Your albino looks really nice - but then so do all your discus. They seem to school really nicely.

How quickly did you transfer all your discus from the 3ft to the 5ft?

Matt15
Sat May 10, 2008, 06:30 AM
Pretty much as soon as the temps were right. I use rain water so I didn't have to treat and water. And I mixed lots of old cyclied filter matter into the new filters.

scott bowler
Sat May 10, 2008, 07:11 AM
looking great mate you have got some awesome fish now , keep up the good work

ivo
Sat May 10, 2008, 09:01 AM
hi matt, i hope you don't mind me asking. can't help to notice that did the tail of your albino red melon intermediate turn from clear to black over time?

Matt15
Sat May 10, 2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks Scott :wink:

hi matt, i hope you don't mind me asking. can't help to notice that did the tail of your albino red melon intermediate turn from clear to black over time?

Yes it sure has unfortunately. The 2nd melon thou is in a b/b tank for breeding and its tail has started to clear up alittle.

S00069075
Sat May 10, 2008, 01:00 PM
your tank looks really good! great piece of driftwood. You discus looks great too!

rwel4809
Sat May 10, 2008, 10:39 PM
What a fantastic school of Discus!!

They seem very happy in their new home - look forward to seeing it when the plants have bushed out a bit too.

congratulations on a job well done :D

Robert

vanessa messig
Tue May 13, 2008, 11:18 AM
Very impressive Discus Tank!!

Tommo
Sun May 18, 2008, 11:39 AM
Some Co2 And Some More Plants Would Really Top It Off

Bloody Lovely Tank Mate

Cheers tommo

tanzy
Mon May 19, 2008, 04:05 AM
Your fish and tank are gorgeous Matt 15. That's a wicked photo of your Panchax.

Kell

Merrilyn
Mon May 19, 2008, 12:31 PM
Love it Matt.

The layout is awsome.

Matt15
Tue May 20, 2008, 07:02 AM
Thx you all for your great comments. :D

Yes Tommo i've been considering a C02 setup for some time. One day..... one day.

TW
Tue May 20, 2008, 01:37 PM
Matt, my 1st C02 set I did the expensive way - Dupla brand bought in store at LFS, to which I later added a Sera solenoid & pH controller combo. Pretty pricey doing it that way.

My 2nd set, also Dupla brand, came complete with regulator, solenoid, pH controller & 1.5kg Dupla bottle and was bought 2nd hand on ebay for total cost of under $160. Dupla brand ones don't come up often, but they do come up. I saved an ebay search for Dupla C02 & just waited till I got the email telling me the item had come up for sale.

I was a little nervous to buy any of the no-name brands on ebay - but if you come across a Dupla, Sera or other known brand, you are most likely pretty safe with the purchase.

I think our sponsors sell them much cheaper than you'll find in store at LFS. Sometimes they can get you in things that aren't listed on their site - just ask, if you are really keen.

You won't regret the puchase, if you do decide to go ahead.

Not only makes your plants happy, but by using the pH controller, I find it an easy way to keep my discus tank at the right pH without messing with chemicals. I wouldn't use C02 solely for that purpose, but it's a convenient side effect.

Matt15
Wed May 21, 2008, 06:25 AM
Robyn i've spent hours and hours using E-bay and never realised you could do a search like that so that when a product containing those words is listed... ebay will e-mail you. Thats a fantastic idea.

The main reason i've been holding off is certainly the price. I just can't justify the cost against the outcome but i'm always interested in 2nd hand goods.

Thx for the info..... :wink:

TW
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 09:55 PM
How's the C02 going Matt. I'm guessing this is the tank you've added the setup to???

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 10, 2008, 11:59 PM
Matt, how's the deep purple doing? mine didn't seem to like the temp of a discus tank.

Matt15
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:13 AM
Sorry for not replying sooner guys. I've being using a new camera lately and its just not the same as my old one but i'll post up the pics I have taken.

Robyn, Co2 is setup and running well. I'm running 1bps atm using a bubble counter which is alittle more work than having a digital setup but i'm happy given the low costs. I'm also switching it off at night or when the lights aren't on.
I'll have to do some THEN and NOW shots too.

Jothy the deep purple i'm not 100% sure on but it certainly looks simular. Whatever it is I paid top price so it would be great to grow and sell cuttings down the track. I've attached a pic which includes lots of new shoots which have sprung since the Co2. My temp is @ 29 and so far hasn't affect it after 6+ months.

Enjoy....;)

I've also added one of my daughter Maddison. Isn't she cute? She absolutely loves watching the fish.

Matt15
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:23 AM

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:31 AM
The more i see that wood, the more i like it.
well done mate,
GREAT looking tank.

TW
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm running 1bps atm using a bubble counter which is alittle more work than having a digital setup but i'm happy given the low costs. I'm also switching it off at night or when the lights aren't on.
I'll have to do some THEN and NOW shots too. I think your bottle is 1.5kg (size of my 1st bottle), so it's good that you turn it off at night, as the bottle won't last too long if run 24/7. Just watch if there are issues with pH rise (when C02 off). Lots of people run it that way though. You got a good buy there.

Such a crisp clean, nice looking tank :thumb

I've also added one of my daughter Maddison. Isn't she cute? She absolutely loves watching the fish. Sure is :)

waitaki
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
Wow those discus sure do look happy!
Well done - it looks great

AHC
Thu Jun 19, 2008, 11:04 PM
love it, love it, love it. Good job Matt. I also see your cute daughter is as happy as your fish. :)